Hiring First Community Manager - Seeking Advice

challenges

(Srdjan Popovic) #1

Hi everyone!

My name is Srdjan and I’m the CMO at a fitness company called Crossrope. We have a very engaged online community that has quickly grown to nearly 75K members (private FB group) and we’re looking at bringing on someone to help us take care of the community management.

We currently have a great community moderator that handles a lot of the day-to-day stuff, but as we start reaching that 100K level and want to start introducing more online events and offline meetups, we need someone with experience.

Does anyone have any advice on how I should initiate my search or where I should be looking? I’m searching for someone with past experience building and managing communities who also has a passion for fitness, health, and helping people.

I’d love to chat with anyone who’s hired a community manager in the past or who is a community manager of a large community.

Thanks in advance for any help!

• Srdjan

(Kristen Gastaldo) #2

I’d suggest posting on the CMX job board - https://cmxhub.com/jobs/

(Piper_Wilson) #3

As someone who is looking and feeling frustrated by what’s out there, I recommend not requiring a degree.

I’ve read job descriptions for positions I think I’d be a good fit for, but one of the first requirements is a degree. It’s all well and good to say, “apply anyway” but in these days of scanning, any resume that doesn’t match is discarded.

Maybe ask for a degree or experience equivalent.

(Luis Villa) #4

Does anyone here (or elsewhere) offer consulting on this “hire first community manager” problem?

To explain what I mean: in a related space, I recently came across someone who does a great job as a “hire first developer relations person” consultant. Among other things, they work with the company to define the role and create the job description, get it on the right job boards, can help with interviewing, and then help onboard the person: they dial-in for day one onboarding, help the manager set expectations, etc. Basically it’s a package that helps overcome the fact that many small companies don’t have quite the right experience when hiring this person.

It sounds in a lot of ways similar to what is needed here…

(Richard Millington) #5

We do it as part of a broader consultancy package, but we don’t really target small businesses though. But others might be able to help.

(Luis Villa) #6

I should have specified that my definition of “small” here is “in early stages of silicon valley venture capital development” so not small business in the traditional sense. I’ll keep you in mind, Richard. :slight_smile:

(Luis Villa) #7

Since someone asked, the DevRel consultant who does this is Mary Thengvall.

(Srdjan Popovic) #8

Thanks for the link Kristen!

(Srdjan Popovic) #9

Gotcha. I’m not sure a degree would be helpful in this role either way. Thanks for your help!