High engagement topics - where do you sit on the spectrum?

(Sarah Hawk) #1

A Facebook friend of mine posted a thread last week getting people to look up and state their Uber rating (if you’re interested: Uber > Help > About > I’d like to know my rating) and it got a tonne of engagement. Being a CM (and a very good one), his response was to post the same topic up on his community. Good on him – I considered doing the same.

Years of chasing vanity metrics means that when a slump in engagement happens, my gut reaction is to post something just like that in order to pump my numbers (although I’m not suggesting that was his rational).

I’d be interested to hear where others sit on the level of engagement spectrum. Do the metrics that you report on sway the type of engagement that you push for in your community, even if the long term results might be detrimental?

Introduce yourself (or at least just say hi)
(Suzi Nelson) #2

That’s a thought-provoking question. I wonder if my engagement tactics hurt the community in the long run?

When engagement is low (with the understanding that it ebbs and flows), I make those “self-disclosure” posts but really try to make them at least a little relevant to the community. Once I had people post pictures of their home offices (we have a ton of freelancers). I figured the more I could get people talking to each other about more personal subjects (even if its a tiny bit off-topic), the stronger the community. Every Friday we do a puppy thread where everyone posts pictures of their furry office mates, but that is 100% because aggregated pictures of cute things = happiness.

Am I wrong in assuming that engagement-specific posts like this are helpful? What’s the other side of the coin?

(Sarah Hawk) #3

[quote=“Suzi_Nelson, post:2, topic:2603”]
Am I wrong in assuming that engagement-specific posts like this are helpful? What’s the other side of the coin?
[/quote] No, not wrong at all. Short term engagement isn’t damaging (that I’m aware of), it just means that you’re not putting your energy into stimulating long term behaviour change. Lots of people will post in those threads but not necessarily become long term or engaged members, hence the vanity metric.

There is definite benefit in sense-of-community building threads, but I think we should do them for that purpose, rather than to stimulate engagement.

(I admit to deliberately wording the OP in a controversial way to provoke thought. Don’t feel judged - I think we all do this sometimes.)

(Suzi Nelson) #4

haha I was just super confused.

Do you have any suggestions on where I can read more about tactics in long-term behavior changing? :smiley:

(Sarah Hawk) #5

My fault – I was ambiguous.

Our Advanced Engagement Methods course covers it in depth, but others may know of free resources that I’m not aware of.

(Alessio Fattorini) #6

Rich’s book is full of examples of topics, I pick up some of them sometimes.