Hawk's Jackpot - Does This Look Good Or Bad?

(Richard Millington) #1

Logged on to FeverBee today to notice Hawk had achieved a FeverBee Jackpot.

I’m in two minds about whether this a good thing or not.

On one hand, I think it’s quite impressive for anyone to score a jackpot of discussion posts that are the most popular in the community. @HAWK created 4 discussions that are the most popular. There’s potentially a fun tradition there if someone achieves this.

On the other hand, I’m aware it could look bad. Doesn’t anyone else start discussions?

Any thoughts? Does this look good or bad?

First week of a new community - how often to post?
(Sarah Hawk) #2

Whilst I’m proud of the record, it’s not ideal. It would be great for members that don’t have a vested interest in the community to hit the jackpot.

(Only posts in Community Discussions show up on the front page.)

(Nick Emmett) #3

I don’t think it looks particularly bad, although I know what you mean. When you’re looking to see where your organic growth is this isn’t perhaps indicative of how things actually are, especially if it’s just counting posts in to one particular topic/group. The picture might look different if all other topics/groups were involved. For someone not seeing all those other groups though, it does hint to less activity than there actually is. I hope that makes sense

(Alessio Fattorini) #4

Open community is started just a few days ago, give it time. I’d like to participate more here :wink:

(rhogroupee) #5

We’ve considered building in a mechanism to suppress administrative members from rankings and rewards, but haven’t done it yet. I think it’s something that does make sense in non-support type communities. However, in this particular case (a meta community community), we all know the deal and I don’t think it looks bad at all.

(Richard Millington) #6

Something that did occur to me is whether allowing someone’s image to appear on the front page of the feverbee site will increase/reduce the number of people willing to initiate discussions.

It’s clearly a status booster, but some people like to ask questions quietly. We haven’t really provided a mechanism for that at the moment. Haven’t tracked whether we’re getting more or less than before. Possibly slightly less.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

That’s an interesting one. I wonder if people that don’t belong to the private community are actually aware that there are other forums. And if we included those on the homepage for people that are members, we’d lose sight of what it looks like for those that don’t see it. Having said that, as @ale_fattorini says – it’s early days. Perhaps we’re trying to fix something that isn’t broken.

[quote=“richard_millington, post:6, topic:881”]
whether allowing someone’s image to appear on the front page of the feverbee site will increase/reduce the number of people willing to initiate discussions.
[/quote] Some people might want to use an avatar. :wink:

[quote=“richard_millington, post:6, topic:881”]
Haven’t tracked whether we’re getting more or less than before. Possibly slightly less.
[/quote] We’re getting a similar number of new posts, but a lot more engagement across the board. That’s most likely because the CTA in our on-boarding process is to engage in one specific post. Also, the barrier to entry is a lot lower when responding to an existing post than to starting a new one.

(Nick Emmett) #8

Yeah, I get the impression that the relaunched site has seen quite a few members returning that perhaps hadn’t been engaged for a while? There does seem to be more engagement right now than just before the relaunch. A lot of people likely do tend to start becoming engaging by contributing to existing posts at first, before gaining the confidence to post their own, or perhaps before they’ve got something they feel is credible enough or a valid topic to post. If we believe the 1/9/90 rule then this would suggest this is possibly what’s happening as the membership reignites. (That in itself leads me to think of a post… hold on a sec!

There’s also a question for you guys - for those of us in the deeper forums, where would you rather us post, in the topics there or in the open Community Discussion topic? Obviously there are pros and cons of each, both for the members and for the organisation. Everything I’ve posted could pretty much be in the open topic, but to be honest I’ve not even contemplated doing so because it makes sense for me to post under one of the other groups/topics.

(Alessio Fattorini) #9

Agreed, it is one thing to take into account, in fact Richard said:
Post fewer, better, discussions. Guide newcomers to see these types of discussions first. Spend more time promoting and documenting the big discussions.
https://www.feverbee.com/growing/

(Sarah Hawk) #10

There definitely is, which I imagine is in part to do with the fact that people are curious about the new platform, partly due to the high number of notifications (sorry) and party due to the fact that I’m not 100% tied up with a platform migration and am actually able to focus on my real job again (yay!).

I admit to being pretty rapt to log on this morning and see this:

[quote=“Nick_Emmett, post:8, topic:881”]
for those of us in the deeper forums, where would you rather us post, in the topics there or in the open Community Discussion topic?
[/quote] I’m very interested in the answers to that. Obviously having a free model is a new thing for us, and only time will tell what it means in reality, but the way I envisage that it will work is that the very low barrier to entry will bring in a lot of new CMs asking questions about getting started here in the public forum. The conversations that go on behind the paywall will offer practical solutions to advanced/specific problems. The paywall also affords us the security to discuss things openly that we don’t want showing up on Google.

(Nick Emmett) #11

I’m very interested in the answers to that. Obviously having a free model is a new thing for us, and only time will tell what it means in reality, but the way I envisage that it will work is that the very low barrier to entry will bring in a lot of new CMs asking questions about getting started here in the public forum. The conversations that go on behind the paywall will offer practical solutions to advanced/specific problems. The paywall also affords us the security to discuss things openly that we don’t want showing up on Google.

I guess it’s just deciding as a poster, where’s the best place to post your thoughts is. For me, for example, my recent post about the 1% rule could either have gone in the Open Category or behind the paywall and in the strategy Category. I did the former to see what sort of difference it made. Discussion’s discussion for me so it doesn’t really matter too much where I post I don’t think, at least the majority of the time.

(Tobias Eigen) #12

In our discourse community we turned off the search engine indexing, because some members were concerned about discussions featuring more prominently in google than their other articles and online profiles. How are you handling this?

How did you guys implement the frontpage “jackpot” view? It’s pretty slick!

(Sarah Hawk) #13

It hasn’t come up as an issue for us. All of the ‘meaty’ or private conversations happen in our Growth Club, which is a subscription forum and is protected from Google by the paywall. If people choose to use the public forum then in all honesty, we want Google to do it’s best work!

[quote=“tobiaseigen, post:12, topic:881”]
How did you guys implement the frontpage “jackpot” view? It’s pretty slick!
[/quote] I don’t actually know the technical details. I worked with a dev team in India and advice from team Discourse to get that implemented. If you’re thinking of doing it yourself, I’m happy to get some more details.

(Nick Emmett) #14

It’s quite interesting to see that the majority of posts seem in the Community Discussions category, rather than in the deeper categories behind the paywall. There seems to have been a real surge in activity with the new approach and the open discussion. So many more people presumably getting value from this community. A shrewd move. I wonder effect that will have on membership behind the paywall (i.e. more people signing up )