Happy New Year!

(Darren Gough) #1

Wishing everyone a fantastic 2016 from FeverBee.

Are you enthused for the new year? What goals and opportunities are on your road map?

I’m really excited that we’re bringing SPRINT back to the UK in Feb but there’s a lot on our roadmap already.

I think using community to Innovate is going to be interesting this year, but I’ve also felt for a while that legal (moderation, responsibilities, defamation, how to operate within the law on a tight budget and so forth) is something that’s going to need looking at quite soon.

I used to run a think tank with a few large UK communities a few years back to discuss the legal side of things. I’d love to do something similar again but I’m curious to know if this is something that people have interest in. If so, what are the questions you’re asking?

(Bo McGuffee) #2

Happy new Year back at you, @Darren_Gough!

Upcoming goals and opportunities? This year my task will be to revitalize our community. I pitched my proposal a couple months ago, and hopefully I will hear back soon regarding whether it has been accepted. If accepted, then I will be busy restructuring and rebuilding around a new approach (for us) to community.

(Darren Gough) #3

Thanks @irreverance!

Are you able to share any specifics around the new approach? I think this is a challenge a lot of communities face so would be interesting to learn a little more around your vision.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

I have always been fascinated by the concept of law in community. Many of us live in one country, manage a community hosted in another, for members based all around the world. To understand what laws apply and how you can be held accountable for them is a challenge. I’m surprised we aren’t more greatly affected by it.

I’ve had to deal with the law in regard to copyright previously, but only in terms of sending out takedown letters. I’ve also had numerous threats from members touting US laws when I refuse to remove their account/content.

I’m interested to know:

• How liable are CMs personally for upholding the laws of the community. If something goes wrong, is it me or the company that is accountable?

• Is there something we can do to protect ourselves outside of having clear legal/TOS documents and then moderating to mitigate risk or damage?

• What do we need to be wary of outside of copyright infringement and slander laws?

(Bo McGuffee) #5

@HAWK, great questions.

@Darren_Gough, I plan on putting something in the “Strategy” section (hopefully) in the near future.

(Darren Gough) #6

Thanks @irreverance (great handle btw!)

Look forward to seeing it.