Guidance in achieving targets for a new community

Hi, I am at the tender stage of implementing a communities of practice online platform for our members only. I am really struggling with setting out our roadmap for member participation. And therefore benefits realisation.

As the community will not be used to sell or buy anything and is solely for existing members it is not to draw in new members in…

I have targets set by the Programme Board to achieve 15 communities and 30 new posts in the first year with ‘internal expert speaker’ requests from the members to us on any topic.

Any help or guidance is most appreciated :+1:
Thanks in advance

1 Like

Hi @coppbacp I moved this to a new post as it felt like its own topic here.

Can you elaborate what you mean by 15 communities and 30 new posts in the first year? 30 new posts in a year is extremely low by most standards. I wonder if you might be using a different definition of posts and community that many of us might share here.

Do you mind explaining a little more?

Hi Richard.
Thank you so much for replying and moving the post.

The members are being consulted in focus groups as to the features and attributes statement. The persona they have chosen to reflect the attributes statement is 'networking, warm, supportive and trusted. The attributes statement is ‘An ethical community, sharing knowledge among diverse practitioners, from beginners to experts’ BACP are the British Association of Counselling and Psychotherapy.
The targets are not really tangible as the programme board had little or no understanding of what a Communities of Practice could be.

They would like to see 15 communities, which I have confirmed 5 already, Neuro Diverse, Rural Isolation, Students, Eco Awareness and Supervisors. I have interest in a further 10 communities being set up on the platform for our members from meetings with the 7 divisions.
I am working with members in focus groups on theses set of objectives and actions below:

Volunteer group 1 - 2 August 2021 – 30 August 2021
Objective: support the selection of the functions of the platform and assist with visual design, with regards to the layout of the platform and placement of images and text.

Volunteer group 2 - 6 September 2021 – 27 September 2021
Objective: support decision making about how the platform is moderated and how it will be set up to adhere to the terms, conditions and code of conduct.

Volunteer group 3 - 4 October 2021 –1 November 2021 Soft Launch of platform happens here
Objective - to test the Communities of Practice platform (soft launch) and define the training required for other members upon registration. Volunteers may be asked to speak at an event about the ease of use of the Communities of Practice platform, which is expected to take place on 13 October 2021.

Volunteer group 4 - 6 December 2021 – 20 December 2021
Objective - to assist with user acceptance testing and report back to the Communities of Practice Lead. Volunteers will be asked to upload files, test documents and ensure the platform performs as expected.

Volunteer group 5 - 10 January 2022 – 31 January 2022 Live launch out to members happens here
Objective - to support the live launch of the Communities of Practice platform on the BACP website. Volunteers will support interested communities who would like to communicate with other professionals, for instance those with an interest in counselling for older people or students sharing their journeys.

Volunteer group 6 - 7 February 2022 – 28 February 2022
Objective - to be part of the Communities of Practice platform supporting interested communities who would like to communicate with other professionals. Members may use the platform to start a poll or invite an expert to their community to talk about their experience.

Volunteer group 7 - 7 March 2022 – 28 March 2022
Objective - to look at what benefits are being realised by the community. These volunteers will help the Communities of Practice Lead refine the platform functionality and scope future developments. This volunteer group will be instrumental in understanding and mapping the member benefits of the platform and the engagement it offers.

The benefits cannot be realised to the members until we have at least 3 months of information and feedback using a temperature check survey from our Data and Research team. Which will take place in March.
The 15 posts relate to 15 individual discussions from all communities (members posts) in the first year.

I hope that helps to explain further.

For further collaboration I am attending our 7 divisional networking meetings for the different practice areas such as Private Practice, Healthcare, University and Colleges, Children-Young people and families, Spirituality and Workplace. In these networking meetings I will have a virtual table and members will be able to drop into my room and chat through the concept and potentially complete a quick questionnaire.
The same format will apply to me attending our ‘staying connected’ events where all members regardless of their division attend based on topics.
But I am a little lost in starting to map the member participation and therefore member benefits. I have downloaded and am using a template from your fantastic range to map member engagement for the next 5 years.
Please let me know if you need anything further, as I said any help and guidance is most appreciated.
Many Thanks Tina

Hello Tina - there are many Community Roadmap templates that exist on various community platforms. Were you able to download any to assist in developing your first community from scratch?

Hi Kimberley, yes I used the templates from here and Memberwise to help me define the Scoping and selection of the providers of the platform. I even found a technical criteria questionnaire template to put to the potential providers. Communities Online Platform Requirements Checklist V.1 FINAL Completed Version 160621.xlsx (63.6 KB)
If anyone would like to use it to help define the technical specification they need.
I hope that answers your question, please do let me know, if not. I am happy to share any learning so far on the project.
Many thanks Tina