Group Discussions

(Ann-Marie Pistikakis) #41

I am 120% sure its our internet at work, so no problem :slight_smile:

(drbenjohnson) #42

The video below isn’t working in How to Grow an Online Community:
http://ondemand.feverbee.com/outline/i9wwju/activities/xeg7h4k8
Thanks! Ben

(Sarah Hawk) #43

Sorry about that – give it a go now. It should be ok again.

On the off chance that it’s not – here is the direct link
https://vimeo.com/115813311

(drbenjohnson) #44

Hi Sarah, it’s still not working for me and the vimeo link says I can’t
access it because of privacy settings.
Best,
Ben

(drbenjohnson) #45

FeverBee Podcast 22 : Amanda Swan isn’t
working for me either!
Thanks,
Ben

(Sarah Hawk) #46

Hmmm, are you not seeing it render straight into the browser like this:

It’s working for me incognito, so should be ok for you. If not, try another browser and let me know what you’re seeing.

Sorry for the hassle.

That podcast is fixed now too – we migrated our entire site to a new server last weekend and I didn’t have the links redirecting properly. It’s all sorted now.

(drbenjohnson) #47

Hi Sarah,
It’s not working for me in either google chrome or firefox, screenshot
showing both attached. It’s just a blank screen where the render should be.
Ben

(drbenjohnson) #48

doesn’t seem to be working for me either :frowning:
Ben

(Sarah Hawk) #49

This is very strange.

How about the direct link in the post above? Does it work there?

And second question, are there other videos that DO work, or are they all broken for you?

Lastly: all podcasts should now be fixed again.

(drbenjohnson) #50

The direct link works! Most of the videos work, it’s just the ones that I
have told you about that don’t.
Weird!
Ben

(Sarah Hawk) #51

I’m stumped. The settings for that one all seem to be exactly the same as the others.
I’ll log a ticket with Schoolkeep, but in the mean time, I’m glad the direct link works.

(Ouattara Sitafa) #52

Ouattara Sitafa
Module ‘How To Start An Online Community’

What other traits do you consider to be measures of success?

Hello All,

Some of the key traits a part from those already mentioned are:

Visibility measurement: that is to say the traffic (number of users of the site):

The measurement of the entire traffic generated by the site. Traffic coming from both search engines and social networks and the measurement of traffic increase over adefined period.

Assess the relevance of a site:

Here it is to measure if the site achieves the community goal. The community’s popularity based on social
interactions

But for most commercial sites, sales measurement (ROI, Sales) remain the best indicator.

Thanks.

(Josh Wolf) #53

I’m in the Long-Term Community Strategy section of the Advanced Community Strategy Course. The question is:

How much of your time are you actually spending on activities related to community management? What other non-community tasks are taking up your time?

For 18 months my role has focused on supporting local community groups, and many projects from that focus continue to occupy my time. Many of them will contribute to an online community, such as engaging with individual community members and hosting regular conference calls, but I would say only about 20% of my time is dedicated to online community development. We haven’t launched the community, though, so community members aren’t being neglected. Yet.

(Lacey Horta) #54

Course: Online Community Management
Module: How to grow an online community
Community I moderate: Cancerconnection.ca

We currently rely on referrals from other CCS (Canadian Cancer Society) programs and we promote our online community when doing monthly webcasts. We also have a lot of members that find us through search. We are starting to promote the community through our CCS social media accounts by linking to trending topics. We plan on creating a twitter account for cancerconnection specifically so we can tweet our own popular threads and create our own following there, and then CCS can re tweet our tweets.We need to do some reorganizing and work at making the site more user friendly before we would consider taking next steps in growing the community.

(Sarah Hawk) #55

I’m currently keeping a spreadsheet of exactly how I spend my time and it’s really fascinating. Until now I would have said that I spend it quite differently to the reality.

I’d recommend trying it once the community launches – it’s helping me to allocate time for the things that are really important.

(Sarah Hawk) #56

Great! Do you have a UX designer in your organisation?

(Josh Wolf) #57

I’ve seen that recommendation in the course work and blog posts - good to know you practice what you preach!

For 9 months I had two distinct roles in the organization and had to track my activities broadly in those categories, which was illuminating. I imagine a more granular approach would be quite revealing. What were some of the things that stood out for you?

(Sarah Hawk) #58

Ha. I’m much better at the preaching, but every now and then when I feel like I’m losing touch or need to sharpen up my game, I focus on the practicing.

In this community: I spend a lot more time on admin/tech support/site development than I realised (but that goes in ebbs and flows) and not as much time writing content as I’d like.

In my other community: I don’t have the time to spend on growth because I tend to focus too much on supporting new members.

(Dean Samways) #59

Course Module: How To Start An Online Community / Defining Online Communities

Loving the comment about striking that balance between making the barriers for entry high enough so the level of interest and enthusiasm for a subject is maintained within a community but low enough so that the community is always growing. That’s the real sweet spot for any great community and the utopia I want to get to.

I enjoyed the focus the MTER Framework offers as well.

Something I thought of during this lesson is that all this information also helps define what a community manager is from a social media manager. Community managers nurture relationships around items that fall within the MTER Framework. Whereas, it could be said that social media managers build audiences around a brand. Of course, social can be used to manage communities but an SMM won’t necessarily look to actively encourage relationships between followers and fans the same way a CM does.

This is definitely the experience I have had in the past as Inside Xbox Social Media Manager (Xbox fans engaging with our first-party video content) and Marmalade Technologies Community Manager (a developer community investing time and money into our tech to create mobile video games).

Good definition and a great start to the course.

(Dean Samways) #60

Course Module: How To Start An Online Community / Does The Definition Actually Matter?

Yes it absolutely does for all the reasons listed in this lesson (obviously). This also links nicely to my comment on the difference between a community manager and a social media manager in my last post.