Group Discussions

(Kelly Harris) #21

I will definitely give it a try and keep you posted! Thanks again for the insight.

(Bo McGuffee) #22

Course #3, Activity 43 of 74, “Benefits of Employee Participation”. Video stops at 3:38. :frowning:

(Sarah Hawk) #23

Sorry – how annoying!
It’s working ok here for me on Chrome for Mac. What OS/browser are you using?

(Sarah Hawk) #24

How are you going with the training @kharris ?

(Bo McGuffee) #25

Chrome, but of course it is working today. Not sure what that could have been. Sorry for the false alarm.

(Bo McGuffee) #26

I’ve got another one for you, @HAWK. Course #3, 59 of 74, “Interview with Matt Dorris”. The link doesn’t go to the podcast.

(Sarah Hawk) #27

Eeeek – here you go: FeverBee Podcast 26 : Matt Doris

I’ll update that link now. Thanks, as always, for the heads up.

(Bo McGuffee) #28

Thanks!

(Ann-Marie Pistikakis) #29

Just watched the Guest Presentation from Richard for Sprint 2014. Great presentation (activity 45 in Building online community course). Can anyone give me some more information about what is - In group language and Out group language? Thank you Ann-Marie

(Sarah Hawk) #30

Hi @Annie – I can help with that. :slight_smile:

In social psych, in-groups refer to any psychological group that someone feels they belong to. That could mean a religion, nationality, gender, believing in the tooth fairy, liking bananas… anything.

On the flip side, an out-group is a group that an individual doesn’t identify as belonging to.

Think us and them.

This explanation is a really good one: Social Identity Theory and this is interesting too: The Psychology of Crowds

So think about the kind of language you’d use to ‘rally the troops’. You’d use words that the group identifies with. That might be slang, it might be ‘in jokes’ – language that is inclusive – that’s in-group language. Extreme examples of out-group language are stereotyping or hate speech.

Does that make sense?

(Bo McGuffee) #31

@Annie, I’ll take a shot at this with some examples of insider language with my crew.

We used to have someone who constantly edited his posts. His screenname was “Pyee”. Therefore, when someone edited their post, instead of starting the edit off with "Edit:…" they started using “_Pyeed:…”.

Another one would be a reference to our business moving. We used to be in Illinois. In order to avoid a new tax law, we moved across the boarder into Wisconsin. Meanwhile, if someone posted a forum topic in the wrong forum, we mods would move it. The community made the connection between between moving the business and moving threads. As a result, when something was moved to our Off Topic forum, a member would inevitably reply with “Beloit” or “Beloited”. And then, “Beloit” became a verb.

This vocabulary makes absolutely no sense to anyone who does not know where in the world these words came from. If a visitor to read at the bottom of a post, “Pyeed: looks like the mods beloited this. :/”, it could strengthen feelings of exclusion, whereas their use among members made them feel special because they got the reference.

Pyeed: I believe the more obscure the language/reference, the more powerfully it affects readers.

(Sarah Hawk) #32

Love this.

Examples of in-group language here would be acronyms like CoP (Community of Practice), B2B/B2C etc. Things that we understand but would mean nothing to others.

All very dry in contrast to @irreverance’s brilliant examples.

(Ann-Marie Pistikakis) #33

@irreverance Thanks for this :relaxed:

(Ann-Marie Pistikakis) #34

@HAWK - thank you

(Ciara Beuster) #35

Hey there! I’m doing the How to Grown an Online Community course and am on the Guest Presentation by Jen Lopez on Search Engine Referrals. Is the recording of Jen’s talk still available? I am only getting a blank screen and the following page with the presentation slides. Thanks so much for your help!

(Sarah Hawk) #36

Sorry about that @MsCiaraB – it looks like it was a permissions problem with our Vimeo account.
Can you try again now and let me know if you can see it?

(Ciara Beuster) #37

Thanks for getting back to me @HAWK
Still getting a blank screen unfortunately…

(Sarah Hawk) #38

I have no idea what is going on here! I’ll DM you a link directly to the file in the mean time. Sorry for mucking you around.

(Ann-Marie Pistikakis) #39

Hi everyone, so I am trying to watch - Outreach to Founding Members (6:14) - Starting Your Community, Activity 64 of 81 but I get half way through and I can’t watch anymore. It could just be my computer but wanted to ask if anyone else had issues at this point?

(Sarah Hawk) #40

I’ve just watched it right through, so it is device specific, but that doesn’t help you! Can you give me the details of your computer, OS and browser?

Also, can you try another browser and see if that works?

Sorry for the hassle!