Great platform, 650 members, no engagement?

engagement

(Samon Xiong) #1

The Raid Organizer (RO) web platform allows for console gamers to schedule in-game events with one another. This is a highly desirable tool. Some of these games require 6 man teams to complete. Without 6 friends online how do people experience the game? With RO’s website you can schedule games and allow other members to join. They create the video game event, date, time, and meet in-game online to start and finish the event, together.

Here’s the problem. I have 650 members and no one has created a game. I tried to create games myself to play with my users but no one has joined any of the games I have created either. It has been over a year. Everyone interacts with us on Facebook (7k followers) but no one uses the platform. The chicken and egg comes into play here:

How do we get users to create games, without games there are no users.

We do have competitors who are very active but their system is completely different. We have features and functionalities that “should” give the user a much better experience. For example; we have a rating system that no one else does. Why? Because people need to be held accountable. If you join an event and your rating is very low the game creator can remove you from the 6 man roster allowing someone else to join.It is in your best interest to show up on time, participate, have fun. Games are typically scheduled 3-5 days in advance. Average age of our user are 24-45, 50% male 50% female.

Help

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hi Samon, and welcome. Ugh – that sounds like a super frustrating situation to be in. I feel your pain!

Two things stand out here.

• It’s been over a year and not a single person has started a game.
  • They like your brand and are happy to engage on Facebook.

That sounds like there is either a platform/technical issue, the barrier to entry is too high, or people don’t actually see the value/need for your platform.

Have you done any research – either before building the platform to ascertain need, or since, to find out what’s going on? I’d get in touch with people that you have a relationship with through the Facebook page and ask them why they’re not using it.

There may be a very simple thing that you could change.

(Samon Xiong) #3

Hawk,

Feverbee is very good at what they do! The fact that your team responded is amazing. I understand this one on one interaction you preach. It is incredibly powerful.

Technically the website is working and very well refined. I’ve asked the community before and no one has responded. Yet, when I post something up about anything else I get really good responses. Not sure what is going on. If, like you said, there could be a very simple thing we need to change - that would be amazing!

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Thanks! That makes it all worthwhile.

Ok, that’s interesting. Did you do research on your target audience before building the platform?
And when you say that you’ve asked the community, have you contacted individuals personally?

If there isn’t a technical issue, then it seems likely that people don’t see the value in the product.

What is the core focus of the Facebook group? Is it to talk about games, your platform, something else your brand makes…?

(Samon Xiong) #5

Unfortunately, we didn’t think this through enough. Hindsight. We created the facebook page for us to share insight on what we are updating on our website and updates to the game from the game developer. But every time we talk about “ourselves” and “our services” those posts usually get the lowest response.

Our product allows people to experience the end content of a video game called Destiny. Destiny has over 28 million active players. Currently these players have no way to group up for the end game content unless they use a third party website like ours. Perhaps you are right in that people do not see the value in our product. We have 2 other competitors but we feel our platform is far superior. The catch is, they had 1-2 year head start on us. The top competitor has 600,000 registered users and 9000 users online at any given time. How do we know this? They have a live counter on their site.

Our platform even allows for the user to share their twitch streams, share the game event they created on Destiny groups on facebook, etc etc. There are lots of ways for the user to recruit and interact with the Destiny community. How do we get this message across? We’ve talked to every local PR/Marketing firm here in Texas and everyone refers our company to someone else.

(Nick Emmett) #6

Welcome @raidorganizer it’s great to hear from you.

Having seen your inset point around your competitors, can I ask what your reason for creating your site was? It seems like there’s already some pretty active sites out there providing the opportunity for these gamers?

I wonder what some of our gamer community members think here? @Jeffrey_Otterspoor @Mjbill

(Samon Xiong) #7

You can compare us www.raidorganizer.com to www.destinylfg.net and www.destinylfg.com and www.the100.io. We built a better set of tools by far, but it means nothing without the community we love so much.

(Samon Xiong) #8

Nick,

Before building the RO platform we used all of the competitors. It would take 1-2 hours of spamming until we got into a good group. Most of the time people hop in and out. Nothing gets done = no end game rewards. Wasted time. Their websites are done in a way where people post games in live time. Sometimes the game creator will invite you, sometimes you sit there and wait until you decide to try and hop into another group. You ultimately hop around 15-20 groups until you get in a good one. We found this approach to be broken. Our system is totally different. We schedule games in well in advance.

We’re all busy bodies with family, friends, some with kids. On our platform, lets say it’s Monday - if you know you’re free Sunday night at 7:00 pm then you create a game for that date and time. By the time Sunday comes around your roster should be full and you can hop on and game without guessing/spamming.

The competitors website does not hold the players accountable. If people jump in and out of games they never get completed. With ours, we have a Player to Player rating system. Users with low scores due to bad attitude, laziness, not showing up can be booted from the game event before the start date and time; that spot opens up for other members. This rating system keeps the community lean. This is why we created RO. To make sure gamers like us could hop on, have a full party ready to go, and have fun with the limited time we have.

(Sarah Hawk) #9

I’m going to put my hand up and say that I know nothing at all about gaming, and taking a look at your site is pretty daunting (to me – I imagine it looks familiar to gamers) but if we put that aside and come at this from a pure community perspective, if this were me, I’d be personally reaching out to individuals for insight.

Don’t ask the group, ask the people that you’re closest too.

If you had low engagement, I’d suggest examining audience motivation and looking at whether you’re appealing to them in the most appropriately persuasive way, but NO engagement implies something bigger.

Launching any community from scratch is all about relationships. Even though your Facebook audience all have the game in common, they’re not your target audience if they don’t want to use your conduit to play the game that they already play. You need a group of people that you have a trust relationship with, and you need to get them using your platform and inviting others to join them.

Do you have some people that you could approach as a start?

(Samon Xiong) #10

“Even though your Facebook audience all have the game in common, they’re not your target audience if they don’t want to use your conduit to play the game that they already play. You need a group of people that you have a trust relationship with, and you need to get them using your platform and inviting others to join them.”

You hit the nail on the head.

(Nick Emmett) #11

@raidorganizer - where did your 650 members come from? How did you go about getting those members? Are there people you knew from your experience within your competitor sites? Digging in to why they continue to use those other sites and not yours would be a good idea.

(Sarah Hawk) #12

Thoughts from @Mjbill, @Andrej_Raider, @Jeffrey_Otterspoor, @Maisha_Andriessen, @WouterS ?

(Samon Xiong) #13

We utilized a Kick starter campaign to generate members pre-launch; we didn’t think we would hit our goal but it was a good way to generate some traction. From there we created a Facebook page and paid for some advertising ($0.03 per target) for incredibly awesome rates. That’s where the bulk of our 7k Facebook fans came from.

The only reason we can think of as to why no one uses our site is because we have no inventory. The “created games” is our inventory - after all that is the actual product. There are no products on our website therefor no one is using it. That’s the catch 22 we are caught in.

(Nick Emmett) #14

Again, gaming aside and looking at this from a Community aspect - this is like coming in to a Community (such as this one here at Feverbee) and there being no conversations or discussion topics - essentially like walking in to a ghost town. When you look to reach out to some of your members that you’re close to perhaps something you could consider is how you can “seed” content. From a social perspective, people are less likely to participate in something if looks like no-one else is doing so. and once they start to get seeded, then make sure that you are highlighting them on your home page, so that people get to see that the norm for people that visit your site is to participate.

It sounds like you need to try and make the site look less like a ghost town and more like a place that people would want to come hang out and play.

(Bas van Leeuwen) #15

I’m a bit confused by this

Do you mean “no one from the community has created a game, but the platform is used” or “the platform we built is not used by anyone” ?

If the latter, how did you validate your business model? Did you ask friends to use it to schedule?

The platform feels very eh corporate. Do you play the game yourself? If so, link to your game avatar, list your achievements etc. Make it personal :slight_smile:

Minor UX nitpick about the platform, you don’t show timezones, so I have no idea when the games take place. I’m assuming you’re US based?

(Mark Baldwin) #16

First of all, great idea @raidorganizer love the concept. I think your problem is the sheer lack of numbers and not that the site is lacking anything. Do you know how the 650 members are broken down? For example Destiny is played on 4 different platforms and when you take into account time zones maybe there are too many variables in play for getting people online at the same time on the same platform. What does Google analytics tell you about visitors to your website?

Have you considered using the system to branch out for other games like the division or wow?

How many people are actually seeing the Facebook posts? Engagement does seem quite low apart from just liking posts, but it should be fairly easy to look through posts and see if any names keep popping up. You can then reach out to these people and ask them for feedback.

The other thing I would mention is that the USP of your site might be the thing that is putting some people off. I personally love the idea of a rating system that you can trust, but knowing gamers, I can imagine this putting some people off, which is a shame.

I must say that I’m really surprised to see a 50/50 gender split in your users, based on your goals and who you are set up for, I would consider doing a targeted add towards people in your time zone, over a certain age, male with interests in playing destiny. I did a quick test on Facebook adverts now and using these parameters:-

Language:
    English (All)
Placements:
    News Feed on desktop computers, News Feed on mobile devices or Right column on desktop computers
People who match:
    Interests: Destiny (video game)

It comes up with a potential reach of 860,000 people and a daily reach of about 3,000 people on a budget of £25 a day. You could of course drill down even further, but maybe it’s worth trying for a week or two.

Sorry for the long post, but happy to discuss further and really hope you get some traction on this as it’s a great service.

(Nick Emmett) #17

Thanks for jumping in here Mark, great to get insight for @raidorganizer from a gamer - I have to agree with the point above. When you’re strugglling for engagement already then putting a potential barrier in place before they even start is not going to help. From that research and business model perspective (as @Bas_van_Leeuwen mentions) did you look into whether such a system was actually something that gamers would want to see?

(Darren Gough) #18

@raidorganizer Plenty of great advice in here and I absolutely feel your frustration here.

Quick question : if you landed on your community for the first time would you use it? Don’t take that personally - but sometimes people that are inside the machine, who understand how everything works and are constantly adding perceived value, content, etc here, there and everywhere sometimes need to take a full step back and walk back through as a new user.

I’ve been that person myself - running a community with 150+ topics, all with 3 or 4 sub boards, some of which have customised purposes. It’s so easy to lose yourself in it.

I’ve asked this question a few times to various people and it’s amazing how effective it can be in taking stock of the user journey and impression.

(Samon Xiong) #19

This is a great idea. In fact, last night we started reaching out to different you tube personalities to ask them if it would be okay for us to promote them on our homepage; because we love their channel.

(Samon Xiong) #20

Thanks for the advice! Yes, it does have a corporate feel. To answer your question, it is the latter. The 650 registered users on our site are not creating games.