General Discussion Rules of engagement

(Chris Detzel) #1

I would like to put together some rules of engagement for a general discussion. This is a place that the electrician could go to talk about general things. We do have topic lists that would allow them to drop down on specific topics, but I want them to be able to go to a place to where they can talk about other types of electrician best practices. Any thoughts and suggestions on rules of engagement FAQ’s would be great!

(Richard Millington) #2

Speaking broadly, very few people will read any sort of rules or FAQs you setup. So in terms of changing the behavior to do that, I don’t think it’s going to have a big payoff.

What I would look out for is kind of what Hawk does here. Look for discussions that match what you want them to do and find 3 to 4 of them to move across. So show them, don’t tell them.

If you don’t have any to show, I would initiate a few with some confederates of yours and begins pushing these and starting discussions that way.

The plan here really is to show people what others like them are already doing.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

I’m not completely sure that I understand what you mean here. Are you talking about starting an off topic/watercooler section?

If so, then I’m in total agreement with Rich’s advice. I’d wager a bet that you’ve never read our FAQs here. I’d launch a new category by moving some existing topics that fit, then encourage some already engaged members to model the behaviour until it becomes a norm.

Having said that, I still think it’s important to have FAQs, partly for the people that DO like direction (and need it for reinforcement before acting), and partly as insurance in case you ever need to reference them if things go wrong.

(Chris Detzel) #4

Thanks @richard_millington I appreciate the direction. @HAWK When you go to our site called The Grid - being updated right now - You will see questions posted, but not a real place to go when those questions are posted. I was thinking of building a discussion that was “General Electrician Talk”, so that they could click in it and talk about whatever they wanted. We have other topics that they can go in to discuss, but those topics aren’t always the things Electricians want to talk about. I was told that in order to create a general discussion, then I need to come up with some do’s and do not’s. I get that people do not generally read these things, but since it’s got to be done, I want to get a glimpse of what others have put into there FAQ’s. Does that help? Thanks again for the good ideas!

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Ah, I understand now. Yes, that does make sense.

Here are the FAQ that I created for this site.