Gamification software

I’m starting a new online community and was hoping some kind people here could recommned some gamification software or tools for Saass based systems. We have a web developer who is building the community from scratch - in other words, we’re not using any community software to manage our platform.

Hope someone can point me in the right direction. Many thanks

There are plenty of excellent free forum packages (you’re using one now!) and a paucity of free gamification tools. I’d recommend having your programmer use an existing forum and spending time writing the gamification piece. You’re 25-50 man-years in programmer time behind what Discourse offers now for free, but you could probably have some pretty great gamification with a single programmer in just a few months.

2 Likes

That is a great answer.

It is easy to underestimate the cost of developing new software. The web developer will be using someone’s libraries to speed development. Even so developing the anti-spam and security features of community software will be most of a full-time job for someone.

Hi Jay, many thanks for the reply. We don’t have a forum. We have a platform where users post reviews on products, similar to TripAdvisor. There is no interaction (at the moment) between users (as you find in a standard forum). What I am looking for is some kind of software that will enable me to offer badges etc to my members, for posting reviews, liking reviews and commenting on reviews etc. Many thanks

Hi Remah, many thanks for the reply. We don’t have a forum. We have a platform where users post reviews on products, similar to TripAdvisor. There is no interaction (at the moment) between users (as you find in a standard forum). What I am looking for is some kind of software that will enable me to offer badges etc to my members, for posting reviews, liking reviews and commenting on reviews etc. Many thanks

I’d still recommend using packaged software that allows custom development.

Badges and likes are common features of much community and social media software so what is the “etc”?

1 Like

I think the most important question in gamifying a community isn’t the software, but the behavior you are trying to encourage and the method you plan to use.

For this you need a theory to begin with, and a willingness to test it over and over again to see if it holds water, and to replace it with one that does.

It’s easy to grab something off the shelf that actually works against your business goals. It might be the easiest thing in the world to implement and produce counter-productive behaviors, even as it delivers some fun to the participants.

Gamification is very powerful stuff and requires a thoughtful and deliberate approach to achieve whatever result you have in mind. I recommend Amy Jo Kim and websites like https://yukaichou.com/gamification-examples/octalysis-complete-gamification-framework/

Francis

1 Like