Gamification in health communities

engagement

(Lacey Horta) #1

I’m interested in everyone’s thoughts on using badges in health communities. If you run a health community-how have you incorporated badges into your community?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

@MarkSchwanke Do you use gamification in your community?

(Nikoletta Harrold) #3

We are not necessarily a health community but we bring together health and wealth habits to make you love better longer. Does that count?

(Mark Schwanke) #4

@HAWK Yes to some degree though the members who have been around a while try to give all their points away because they don’t think quitting smoking is a “game”.

Badges were used before my time and caused an uproar so we’re hesitant to use them in any significant manner now. We do have some but there used minimally for completing some onboarding tasks.

There are some badges that can be awarded(along with points) for birthdays, welcoming new members, saying thanks, etc. that have been used between members. This has been warmly received.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Wow, that’s an interesting insight. Is it making you reconsider the system?

(Mark Schwanke) #6

Well we know that some people are activated by gamification. While not everyone is interested in it I think there is some benefit to keeping it on our community. Honestly if there was an on-boarding system that walks members through using the site and shows profile completion it it might help with people learning the site. Long help documents are boring. Certainly good to look back at but having something that onboards a person would be helpful.

The user distributed badges were discovered by the members themselves. We hadn’t put any documentation on the site about them.

For those who are wondering. We’re using Jive.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

You need a @discoFEVERbot !

(discoFEVERbot) #8

Hi! To find out what I can do, say @discoFEVERbot display help.

(Sarah Hawk) #9

See :wink:

He’s very helpful.

(Mark Schwanke) #10

I said discofeverbot out loud several times but my kids just looked at me funny. :slight_smile:

(Lacey Horta) #11

Our community is for cancer patients and their loved ones. I was thinking about badges to identify patient and caregiver. Points are kept track of on the back end but are not public. We are looking at the benefit of having points converted into badges that the public can see. The main goal is just recognizing the superusers and using badges to motivate people to help others.

(Sarah Hawk) #12

In that case we can probably spread the net wider than just health communities. Would you like me to edit the title to pull in extra opinions?

(Mark Schwanke) #13

Badges for patient and caregiver sounds good. Might be interesting to have distinct badges for People who are taking care of their Parents, Kids, Siblings, Other family member, or friend.

I think there needs to be some automation but potentially some manual badging as well. Some of our super users are definitely looking for quantity but there are also others who are really focused on quality. These people who have low volume but highly appreciated answers shouldn’t be devalued for fewer interactions.

I’ve always wondered if there was a way to take “time on the site” for sessions that a contribution was made and factor that into a running clock which would then create a badge at a certain milestones. Certainly don’t want someone logging in, camping out and racking in hours without valuable contributions.

I think the badges help people want to help others but really what powers people is when someone says thanks. A community of thanks. 1 Thank You in 45 responses can really charge me up to keep participating.
Liberty Mutual “Pay it forward”

(Lacey Horta) #14

We can- I just wonder if health communities view the badging systems differently. That was why I was hoping to speak to people from other health based communities. It feels like communities that people join out of interest or for fun have a different culture. Nobody wants to be a member of our community, if you know what I mean :slightly_smiling_face:

(Lacey Horta) #15

Thanks @MarkSchwanke for your thoughts. I like your idea for the distinct badges.

I also agree about the quality or quantity comments. It would be nice to be able to recognize those quality posts somehow.

My dream would be to have other buttons besides ‘like’ for example a thank you button!

(Mark Schwanke) #16

You’re welcome. I don’t know your community but just seeing some of the struggles of caretakers on our community are faced with and how they react, it seems caretakers in different positions have slightly different viewpoints.

Yes. Sometimes you just want to “thanks/kudos” or “me too”.

(Sarah Hawk) #17

Yup, got it. That makes sense. :slight_smile: