For an Interview: Would you do all of this?

I am currently interviewing for several companies as I was recently part of a RIF. For this one company, I have thus far “passed” 8 interviews with various stakeholders. Now they want me do a 30 minute presentation to all 8 of these people that includes:

1. About the company (as if I were talking to a prospect)

2. A 30-60-90 day community plan

3. A 3 year community strategy

Keep in mind, this is still part of the interview. I have not been hired yet. Number 1 and 2, I can kind of understand. But number 3 seems excessive.

Would you go through all of this? Or have any of you been asked to do something similar?

Thanks,

Serena

1 Like

This type of demand would make my radar go off. It’s more common in the ad agency world, where the clients want a full blown plan in the pitch, with the danger that they’ll just take all of that work and use it themselves without hiring you.

You’ll have to weigh all of the other factors, like is the company reputable, do you like the team you’d be working with, and what’s the compensation like.

I’d be very reluctant to give detailed plans and strategies in an interview, but I wonder if you could do a more high-level pitch. After all, as a non-employee, you don’t have access to a lot of the information you would need if you were creating “real” versions of those plans.

Good luck!

4 Likes

It is your personal decision based on your circumstances. @rhogroupee has already said much of what I would have said about that aspect.

I’d only do this if the position is at a pinnacle of some sort: with a market leader, e.g. Apple: a highly sought after role e.g. an executive position; with a high level of remuneration?

I am concerned that the prospective employer has stacked the risk-reward calculation in their favor. For me it is a major warning sign that they will do the same as employers: expect a lot and give little.

A good employer will recognize the substantial investment you’d make in doing this work and would offer something in return even if it is only to tell you that you are one of the last two candidates and they will be hiring one of you based on this test.

Worst case is that they might be sucking you dry. I’ve seen this before with procurement contract requests for information/proposals (RFI/RFP) that are fishing expeditions with little commitment to contract the requested services.

So, is the organisation known to be trusted, truthful and highly ethical? Or are they at the other end of the spectrum?

3 Likes

Agreed with both above comments. Unless the company is asking you to build a completely new community, and this position is Chief Community Officer; otherwise, it is really not reasonable to ask you to present a 3-year community strategy plan.

5 Likes

8 interviews? I’d walk away. The amount of bureaucracy that they seem to think is normal, is not! It’s probably also indicative of the kinds of hoops that you’ll have to jump through in your job.

There is just no way you can write a 3 year community strategy without a deep understanding of the business goals. What is the objective of the strategy? That’s just… weird.

3 Likes

UPDATE: I did drop out of that interview loop. After talking with the recruiter, he said I could just do something high level that would specific to communities in general. Then I had my final interview, which was supposed to be more of a formality, with a C-level exec and they brought up the 3-year strategy. So that point I just told the recruiter I had another offer (I did not at the time).

1 Like