First week of a new community - how often to post?

(Rachael Reilly) #1

Hi everyone,

This is my first time working on a brand new community, starting from scratch. I’d love to hear from anyone who has experience in this. My main query is around content. I’m currently working on a content calendar for the first two weeks and am deciding how often to post. This will obviously be subject to change as we go but I’d like to have a schedule ready regardless.

Thanks in advance for your help!

-RachForShort

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Hey @RachForShort – great question. I think every CM worries about this. Over-posting looks bad but if we don’t post how are we going to stimulate engagement?

We actually discussed this specific issue when we launched this community (to the public) last year.

I don’t know that there is a hard and fast rule that applies to every community, but I think a good guideline is that if it adds value for your members, then it’s worth posting. I avoid creating more than one new post per day unless it is absolutely necessary. What type of community is it that you’re talking about in this case?

On a related subject, we have a content calendar template that might be useful to you. (Note that the data in there is just sample data so don’t panic that it only lists one post per week.)
CalendarTemplate.xlsx (53.3 KB)

(James Higginson) #3

Hi @RachForShort I would say rather than worry about how many posts you make, focus on getting what members you do have to participate in them. You need to generate momentum. You should get a copy of @richard_millington book. It’s brilliant and will be just what you need!

It’s called Buzzing Communities and it’s invaluable!

(Rachael Reilly) #4

Thanks for that @James_Higginson have the outline of a content calendar done for the first two weeks but will definitely focus on content that our members with engage with and items that add real value to their day. Thanks for the tip! Getting a copy of Buzzing Communities is on the ‘To Do’ list.

(Rachael Reilly) #5

Thanks @HAWK I knew you’d be a good person to turn to on this :slight_smile: I totally agree with you and @James_Higginson it’s all about value. I know that inherently but it’s easy to get sidetracked by processes and calendars. You know yourself! I’ll definitely check out that thread now. I don’t want our community to be ‘The World according to Rach’ but at the same time someone has to get the ball rolling! I really like that content calendar, will definitely take guidance from it. Also to give some context, it’s a customer community for business customers.