First tips for my early community of 100 users (need enagement + more users)

engagement
challenges

(Andreas Galster) #1

Hi everyone, I’ve just found buzzing communities and stumbled upon this site :).

I’m looking for some first advice for my site www.product.cafe an online community for product managers.

I’ve been building the site for the last month and slowly got to a hundred users but there’s not too much engagement. I think this is a chicken and egg problem.I run another FB community for product managers which also was barely active until we reached some critical mass of users interacting with each other.

The problem with my site is that people don’t always hang out on the site. It’s easier to active on FB, people get notifications and are constantly on FB - there’s a habit already established.

I’m trying to figure out how I can drive a lot more users and get more interactions going, especially since I’m now at a version that has decent features. I’ve built everything that I wanted to build as a first MVP, I’m just considering how to implement these things into a better package for users to see benefits for consuming product management content quickly.

In the meantime, I think I need to see and drive more engagement and test what works. Any thoughts on my site and what I could do to get more users to engage?

(Richard Millington) #2

Welcome @andreas_galster,

My apologies, I completely missed your message!

Thanks so much for joining us at FeverBee. I don’t think we have many people from your part of the world here.

The chicken and the egg is a pretty common and severe problem, but it’s one that almost everyone here has overcome at some point. There is usually three options to this:

1. Fast growth. This is where you build up a big enough audience on a blog or another channel so when you launch there are plenty of people who can join in and get things going. This community might be an example of this, I was blogging for a few years’ first.

2. Exclusivity. Make it exclusive so the top people want to join, then gradually open things up as it’s seen as a place where the best people hang out. Facebook did this.

3. Focus. Focus on the smallest possible niche possible and appeal to it. Backpacking light for example.

4. Just grow slowly. Just stumble along and hope things head in the right direction. Not a great plan, but it often works. It sounds like this is what you might be doing now.

I think in your case, the challenge is why would someone want to compete in your community instead of on Facebook? Are you really looking at it from their perspective? The platform has to offer something incredibly valuable to them which Facebook doesn’t. So my question what is that in your mind and do members agree?

What are the competitors in your space too? That’s going to play a role here.

p.s. how did you develop that platform by the way? I quite like it.

(Andreas Galster) #3

Hi Richard, thanks a lot for your feedback. Very valid points, some of it I’ve heard from users and I know about it myself. I could theoretically get many of these things in smaller non-unified chunks in different facebook groups, slacks, blogs, etc.

I’ve been playing with the exclusivity approach. Or at least trying to invite influencers that can drive traffic to the site. I do like that it’s an open community that is immediately accessible, though I think making it look “special” could definitely help. I am designing a landing page anyway right now that I can just show upfront and they need to sign up first :slight_smile: An experiment doesn’t hurt!

For the niche’s I also found two personas that are frequent: Aspiring product managers or people who want to promote their own contents. Those are often companies or bloggers. I think 1 would drive more engagement, whereas 2 would drive more traffic.

I first of all want to create one go-to place for all these contents - curated by the community.

The other much bigger goal with the community is not really visible here yet at all aside from some minor teaser with the graphs when clicking on user names. The actual goal of the community is to become the Behance/GitHub for product management. My plan is to use machine learning long-term, let users create content and automatically highlight how they built products.

This is what product management is about, the process of how you build it. Other communities in similar areas such as code or design focus on the what, since their measure of a good output is very tangible. So the much bigger goal is to turn this into a “portfolio site” for product management. The main value that I envision out of this long-term is to make the intangible (an individual’s approach to product building) as tangible as possible. I am sure this sounds confusing, it’s definitely a very far fetched goal right now and I don’t think I’ll be ready before a few months from now to really show what I want and could do with the community.

Glad you like what I’m building btw :slight_smile: