First time here? Welcome!

introductions
reading

(Richard Millington) #179

Hi @aniamarcos Welcome! So happy you found us!

Thanks for joining us. What kind of community are you trying to build here? What would be a good challenge we can solve for you?

(Ania Marcos) #180

Hi, @richard_millington! Thank you :smiley: I’m super happy too!

We have an active closed community of people who share the same goals and interests, but I know there’s a lot to improve.

Our community is mostly in our Facebook Groups. Our Forums are not working as well as the Facebook Groups are, which is ok!

I joined to learn more about how other Community Managers lead their tribes. Sometimes I just don’t know what I can do to strengthen our lovely community.

Really looking forward to diving in the amazing content you have here! Thank you!

(joitske) #181

Hi Nick I am looking for the experts, thought leaders and relationships between people.

(Andy White) #182

Hi. Reasons for being here :Setting up an online business running via Discourse.

My background in relation to online communities

Set up www.ipse.co.uk in 1999 which was one of the very first online communities. Did exciting stuff like first crowd funded org and first smart mob

Other stuff is on LinkedIn: AndyWhite247

So 19 years on want to check in with the latest thoughts and tech.

Spent a year checking out various tools and think Discourse best. Big part of that are the people and at the top of that…IMO is @HAWK

(Piper_Wilson) #183

Agreed!

Welcome to the fold.

(Sarah Hawk) #184

Thanks Andy, I appreciate that.

(Nick Emmett) #185

Hey @andy_white - welcome to the community here at Feverbee. Great to hear your background - what is the business you’re setting up? Is it community related? It would be good to hear what, in your opinon and other than the great folk, set Discourse apart, along with which tools you looked at.

after your time away, what differences are you seeing, if any?

(Andy White) #186

Thanks Nick. I looked at Facebook, Atlassian Confluence, Slack before coming across Discourse

The business is competing wth the existing Recruitment Agency model and looking to do it, Better, Faster and Cheaper.

Discourse is our Online Office. The differences from the Threads forum software I used back in 1999 and now is like the difference between Horse and Cart and a Modern car!! Where does one start!

(Jemilah Senter) #187

Hi-
The nonprofit I work for (human services) is just about to sign an agreement for an online community platform that will also include CMS and LMS. I have a background in association management, so I have a fairly solid understanding of online communities. Unfortunately, many of my colleagues do not. So although we are days away from signing the check, folks are just not really clear. Does anyone have any advice on easy ways to get the team on board (because this is happening) and most importantly, understanding what communities are and aren’t?
Thanks!

(Josh Mirush) #188

Hi! I manage a community about economics, but people started to post about accounting. I would like to split this community in 2, and I’m researching about the best platform.

I’m currently using Drupal. Drupal forums are bad, but users like to submit blog like posts also.

I’m researching about the best platform for a Q&A site with the ability to submit blog like posts.

(Piper_Wilson) #189

Hi there! Welcome to the forum.

Im currently taking a class on Drupal. Even though I’m just starting to learn about it, I feel your pain. I look forward to finding out more from you around here.

(Nick Emmett) #190

Hey @joshmi - welcome to the Feverbee - it’s great to hear from you. Great job on making your first post!

It’s great to let your community evolve in it’s own way, I think what’s important for you now is how to nurture this new trend - I don’t know Drupal very well but this platform’s pretty nice from Discourse. Most platforms these days are equipped to be able to handle what you want. It sounds like rather than splitting in two, what you need are possibly two areas. You could group posts by topics or groups, depending on your chosen platform and preference for handling them.

The guys here at Feverbee put together a great platform guide with reviews form users that would be useful for you here. You can find it at https://www.feverbee.com/communityplatforms/

(Sylwia Ganiec) #191

Hi! I am the community manager for the past 4 years and I still have a deep feeling that it is a lot of to learn about. As I am also a knowledge consultant I strongly believe that a knowledge sharing and networking have a huge power.
So I am here to draw in all the wisdom you have :wink:

(Nick Emmett) #192

Hey there @sylwiag - welcome to Feverbee, it’s great to hear from you!

It sounds like you manage a community already, what sort of is it? Internal, external? Community of Practice, Support?

Sounds like you’ll have some great experience after 4 years in the game - what sort of challenges are you facing now? I agree with the Knowledge thing, we have a Knowledge Base as part of our community at FinancialForce - interested to hear your thoughts on the relationship and cross-section between the two.

(Sylwia Ganiec) #193

Hi Nick, thanks for asking :slightly_smiling_face:

My community is partly public, but mainly aim for internal and external knowledge sharing. The AnswerHub instance allows to differentiate audience by spaces.

At the moment, I have been trying to get more deeply into reporting - what to measure and how to read metrics to have an insight on the current state and predict the future.

Another topic for this year is engagement. How to strengthen the internal engagement to involve more employees in the game, so more questions can be answered, especially those published by our external members(partners and customers). I can see at the moment two ways : by running more initiatives like Here of the month and promoting the business values.

Having those values I could promote them inside and outside of my organization to show a benefit of becoming a member. This is my third subject I want to tackle this year.

With the upcoming GDPR requirements, it makes me a quite busy and seeking for place I can get some tips/suggestions.

(Caroline Sekar) #194

Hi everyone!

I’m Caroline, and I manage a B2B IT community that launched in August 2017. So, we’re still pretty new. Our membership is growing nicely (just celebrated our 5,000th member!), but our # of active users (which we define as members w/ 2+ posts and 2+ logins / month) isn’t growing as quickly as we’d like. Perhaps our expectations aren’t realistic, or perhaps we need some new tactics! Looking forward to reading what folks here have to say and perhaps contributing some of my (limited, but growing!) expertise.

Cheers!

(Nick Emmett) #195

Hey @carolines - welcome to Feverbee, it’s great to hear from you!

In amongst those members that are active, do you have a core group that keep coming back and contributing? Maybe you could dig in to their psyche and get their thoughts?

What’s your WHY? why does your community exist? From both your organisation’s view point and from a customer/member’s one? Why does your company want/need one? what business goal are you trying to affect? Why would I come as a customer/members? Why would I engage and share?

What are your expectations? What were you hoping for?

(Caroline Sekar) #196

Hi @Nick_Emmett - thank you so much for the warm welcome and your great questions!

In amongst those members that are active, do you have a core group that keep coming back and contributing? Maybe you could dig in to their psyche and get their thoughts?

Yes, we do have a core group that are quite active. In the last 30 days, 5 of our users have contributed 40% of our content (and 1 user created 20% of the content all by himself!). When you say “dig in to their psyche” - do you have specific questions you’d suggest I ask?

What’s your WHY? why does your community exist? From both your organisation’s view point and from a customer/member’s one? Why does your company want/need one? what business goal are you trying to affect? Why would I come as a customer/members? Why would I engage and share?

All excellent questions. We are primarily a support community, though our goal isn’t actually support-cost-reduction, but rather continued engagement with the brand. From our organization’s viewpoint, we exist to increase customer/partner engagement (and hence, hopefully, get them to buy more, though we don’t have good systems in place for actually tracking that). From our members’ viewpoint, we exist as a place for troubleshooting and getting answers from others who have experienced the same issues, and for sometimes winning small prizes like a branded hat as a result of entering contests and participating :).

What are your expectations? What were you hoping for?

We have a goal (based on the initial results from our first few months of existence + a dose of optimism) of 15% month-over-month content growth (in order to have more content to engage with / better search results / generally a more active community). We aren’t hitting that goal. We are hitting our 20% month-over-month membership goal, however.

Hopefully this info is helpful; let me know what suggestions you have! (Also, apologies if this is too long of an answer for this particular thread…)

Cheers!

(Magda Kuzminski) #197

Hello FeverBee community,

My name is Magda and I am part of a new two-person team with a goal to create an online community! Our company has been gaining some fast traction in the two years since being open and we are looking to build an ecommerce community online.

I’ve never been in this role from this side however have grown up on communities and forums all my life so am excited to bring in that view point.

FeverBee was suggested by a fellow coworker so I decided the best way to learn was to join and be part of the community. I think my main strength here is that I have a fresh perspective and am open to learning with no reservations.

If anyone has any links or tips in terms of getting a community online started I would greatly appreciate you sharing them with me. Any other insights about what posts to check out as well are awesome! I am excited to be here and stoked to learn! :slight_smile:

(Richard Millington) #198

Hi @magda_k and welcome!

What kind of community are you building?

So today’s post might be relevant: https://www.feverbee.com/building-an-online-community/.

This course is also helpful: http://ondemand.feverbee.com/catalog/n3mxns/how-to-start-an-online-community.

Also worth looking at the ‘insights’ tab under the www.feverbee.com homepage.

Plenty of material out there :slight_smile: