First time here? Welcome!

introductions
reading

(Richard Millington) #139

Ah, nice, I’m sure Wikimedia was an interesting challenge.

So one thing is to start scoping out what that concept of a community looks like (if you haven’t already).

Who’s it for, what will happen within it, what’s the goal of it, what makes it unique etc?

There’s no reason you can’t simply try both and see what sticks better.

(Luis Villa) #140

Wikipedia was many things, but never dull :wink: I still consider myself very much a part of that movement even though I’m no longer part of the Foundation.

I’m definitely already mapping out those questions - as usual, your materials are very helpful in that regard. (Looking forward to the new book!) Unfortunately I can’t join your next training but will do one in the future, I’m sure.

(Jan Lenoch) #141

Hi everyone,

Our company starts a new software-as-a-service product that allows virtually any developer (of any technology stack) to create web sites with great flexibility on one side and without the need to worry about unnecessary things on the other side. We’ve already set up some channels of supporting our community but we always like to learn and improve things, hence I’m here.

Looking forward to getting to know you!

Jan

(Nick Emmett) #142

Great to hear from you @janlenoch and welcome to Feverbee.
I also work for a SaaS company running a support style community.
Is your community live? What do you hope members will get out of coming there?

Looking forward to hearing more about your journey :slight_smile:

(Jan Lenoch) #143

Hi Nick,

Good question. The community is still below the critical mass but the good thing is that the current user base is rather active. As I’m primarily a developer, I really hope the members will always get inspiration and good advices on how they develop their websites well. This is my primary goal. But I have other benefits in mind, like the ability to influence the product (ideation), incentives and rewards, recognition of the most active members etc.

It is good to hear there’s been people here with SaaS background! Thanks for a warm welcome.

Jan

(Corinne Crabtree) #144

Hello!

I am new here. I’ve been running a private member site for nearly 10 years. It’s evolved as online has evolved. Now I have a member site where we keep all of the resources and utilize Facebook to foster the community, etc.

I’m here to learn best practices to tailor education and resources to keep churn down and keep my members feeling as if the money they spend with me is a no brainer.

Thanks and looking forward to the training.

(Julie Kissinger) #145

Hi. I am new to the community today, taking the community management course. I work in communications for a hospital advocacy organization. We launched an online consumer community last year to promote wellness, provide guidance on complex health issues, and focus on hospital community health efforts across state. We use email, Facebook, and Twitter. Currently we work with a consultant partner but are taking more in-house. We need to focus on the strategic plan for the members we have and ramp up engagement.

(Richard Millington) #146

Hey @jkissinger,

Sorry missed this earlier!

Looking forward to working with you on the course.

Do you have a link to the community we can check out? We’re a big fan of links here.

(Simon Knight) #147

Hi - I am completely new here, having followed a trail from the Buzzing Communities book on Amazon. I just accepted a product and community manager role, so I’m looking for inspiration and education around what kind of strategies I should be looking at.

Currently, I just write, edit and manage other peoples content for a company blog and make sure our social media channels are kept up to date. Building an online community seems like quite a big step up, and I’m not really sure where the best place to get started is, or what tools and skills I’ll need to do the job effectively.

No doubt I’ll figure some of this out as I explore the FeverBee site some more, but in the meantime - any tips or pointers will be greatly appreciated!

(Richard Millington) #148

Hey @sjpknight

Let me be the first to give you a hearty FeverBee welcome to the collective. Thanks so much for joining us. I really hope you found the book useful.

Mind if I ask who you will be working for?

Have you checked out the resources on our front page? www.feverbee.com? We share some of our best stuff there.

Do you have a sense of what the goals for the community are yet?

(Simon Knight) #149

Hi Richard. It’s a complicated setup, but ultimately I am working for Idera and will be managing the Software Testing community and products.

Goals of the community from my perspective =

• Develop relationships with our customers, users and the wider software testing community
  • Educate, inform and entertain them
  • Elicit useful feedback regarding our products and processes
  • Share useful information about our products, driving trials and sales

(Richard Millington) #150

That’s really interesting, thanks @sjpknight

Are these goals shared by others within the organisation? Other key stakeholders etc??

If you were taking our course, I’d probably say there might be a mix of goals, objectives, and strategy in the above. The feedback seems to be the overriding goal here in terms of real value. I like the concept a lot!

(Piotr Malzycki) #151

Hello everyone, cheers from Eastern Europe :slight_smile: @richard_millington you are doing great job with roi and other materials. Quick view Who I am and what I am looking for here. Before launch I had thought “Community Manager” after 1+ year I am more product owner than community manager at all. I am looking for opportunity to exchange knowledge with others mostly from strategic point of view.

(Simon Knight) #152

Not sure whether those goals are shared with other key stakeholders or not tbh. I am carrying out research to try and form some views of my own, before I enter into those discussions - so that I can hopefully steer things in the right direction from the outset.

Time will tell, and I’ve no doubt I’ll be paying regular visits to this community to pick brains and share my experiences. Not necessarily in that order!

(Richard Millington) #153

Hey @drolcak

Let me give you the buzziest of FeverBee welcomes to the community…whatever that might mean :slight_smile:

Thank you for your kind words about our work. What is the product you’re the owner of? What would be the one thing we could do here that would blow you away? What’s a game changer for you?

@sjpknight good luck! The only thing I’d note is it’s often a lot easier to gain support if you begin with things your colleagues have already support. It is possible to change people’s minds, but it’s harder than just figuring out what they already support and makes those goals your goals.

(L.D. Sewell) #154

Hello Everyone,

I am trying to figure out how to build a community, while at the same time developing online courses and other content. I am looking forward to learning all I can here - and sharing my experiences along the journey.

(Efuet Atem) #155

Hello,

I discovered this amazing community via Discourse, and am happy to have done so!

We are working on building an online community for students and researchers in mobility, still under construction though.

You can check us here if need be

Am here to learn about how to build an online community from 0 to 1.

Cheers,

Efuet,

from France, besides the City of Love :heart_eyes::heart_eyes::heart_eyes:

(Richard Millington) #156

Hi @ldsewell - welcome to the community. What’s the wrong thing we could most help with here? What would blow you away? :slight_smile:

@efuet_atem - same question to you. What do you feel you need here to make your community a thriving success? What would success even look like to you?

(Efuet Atem) #157

Thanks @richard_millington for the warm welcome :blush::blush:.

As I said, our community is still under construction, in a couple of weeks we are going live!

I guess the path from 0 to 1 will be rough, so am hoping we can get some best practices as we navigate along while simultaneously sharing our experience!

(L.D. Sewell) #158

Thanks for the welcome - The main thing I would like to know is exactly how to grow a community from 0 to 7200 while making the experience better than great for every member from day one.