First time here? Welcome!

reading
introductions

(Brittney Wilson) #219

I’m here to connect with the the community management community as I select and launch a new community platform for a healthcare learning and development company.

(Joy Stephan) #220

Hi All,

Whether on digital platforms or face-to-face, community managers are ‘my people’ so it’s great to have a community like this to jump into. Currently, my focus is on in-person communities, but I’m looking to learn more about digital communities, how they are similar to traditional communities, and what’s unique about them. I’m also wondering if others have focused on in-person communities and now find themselves working primarily on digital. If so, I’d like to learn more about your transition.

Thanks all- look forward to knowing you!
Joy

(Piper_Wilson) #221

Welcome!

(Laura Prerau) #222

Hi everyone! Just getting to know this space and wanted to introduce myself!

I currently work as a coordinator for an online community based in mental health. I have a background in counselling as well. My passion is the online space and connecting people as a method of support.

(Richard Millington) #223

Hi @laurap and welcome.

I really love the work you and your team do here.

What can we do to help?

(Laura Prerau) #224

Hi @richard_millington thanks! I’m pretty proud to be part of a team and online community like ours.

Whats interesting is working with members that deal with complex mental illness, means we have a focus on our duty of care as much as increasing meaningful peer support. So when thinking strategically for growth which may involve changes, we need to work on how to support our longer term superusers who have been with us from the beginning, to stay with us even though they have discomfort around change and the new community style (more people, harder to keep up with everyone’s stories, more opinions that may differ)

Then on the flip side, we struggle to stop cliquey behaviours that would discourage new members from joining in! Its a hard balance - we want peers to connect, but we also want to maintain inclusion on all spaces. Some threads will start off as an issue based thread (when is it time to tell someone you don’t feel safe) then over time as the member that posted connects and the issue dissipates…members continue to connect in that space checking in and chatting.

Sorry for the big dump here! As I continue in this community I am sure I will find correlating spaces to discuss each of these issues with other experts too!

(Luke Schroeder) #225

Well, I’ve been lurking around Feverbee for some time now though not in the recent past. I work with language development for a minority language of the Southern Philippines and Sabah, Malaysia. For some time now my dream has been to foster a vibrant online community that interacts mainly in their mother tongue and have never succeeded at this. I may be around a bit more in the coming weeks looking for possible leads for attempting to steer a website and Facebook fan page in the direction of community.

(Richard Cook) #227

Hi everyone! :wave:

I’m the Online Community Manager for a startup bank in the UK. Looking to pick up some useful info on community management, and particularly community strategy.

It’s reassuring to see Feverbee using Discourse as the community platform, as that’s what we use too. Hopefully I can get a few pointers on how to make the most out of it. The way it’s used here is really great.

See you around!

(Sarah Hawk) #228

Happy to help. I did the bulk of the basic setup back when I worked here. Rich has made some changes to the homepage setup since then but I can still offer guidance. If there are specific questions you have, fire away.

(Hilary Jirasek) #229

I found this through a Community management Certification course I’m taking and am so exited!
My work is with a major nonprofit, in one of its regional offices. I manage our learning community for volunteers that are new in their role as leader, that we are moving into year two of. Its been a crash course for me, but our community is doing ok, and my volunteer mentors in there are doing great. We have shown this is a viable asset to our strategic plan - now I have to quickly learn how to really make this work and get it codified into a three year strategic plan with options for scaling up or down in case other regional offices want to adopt this or a similar model. (For the time being, this is on a budget of very little. Looking forward to being able to change that as well though.)

(Carole Sumler) #230

Hi,
Thank you for letting me in!

I’ll be managing a new and private community forum. I’ve been asked to come up with a membership rules and regulation contract. I’ve seen a few standard ones and was wondering if there is a location where I can find a template to work up for our new forum.

Thanks you for any assistance!
red5

(Daniel Doherty) #231

Hello Everyone,

I love using technology to connect people. My Passion project “Putney Social” is to use technology to bring people together in Putney (South West London) where I live. We have about 7,000 members and have done 650+ events in Putney since 2012. I did a TEDx talk about engineering serendipity here http://www.happinessevangelist.com/place.html

I am also the Facebook Community Leadership Circles Lead (volunteer role) for London. Community Leadership Circles is a new program from Facebook, comprised of a global network of community leaders around the world. It is driven by Facebook’s mission to give people the power to build community and bring the world closer together.

I work directly with Facebook as the Lead for the Circle here in London organizing events, managing our online community of 170 members (so far), and liaising with Facebook as an overall advisor for the program.

I asked the community for good speakers on Community and they suggested Richard, so am here having a look around. Have enjoyed the first 2 video’s of Richard speaking by the way :slight_smile:

Cheeky asks…

1. If you are based in London and are running a meaningful community on Facebook please do check out https://www.facebook.com/groups/CLC.London/ please do answer the 3 questions so we can admit you.

2. Who else is a great speaker on Community?

Look forward to being part of Feverbee and joining in the conversations here.

Thanks Daniel

(Sarah Hawk) #232

@Nancy_Kinder and @Darren_Gough

(Darren Gough) #233

Thanks @hawk!

Hi @danieldoherty. Small world - used to live in Barnes and spent many happy hours ambling through Putney. Is the Duke’s Head still there?

Regarding the 3 questions to get into your group, although im no longer a permanent London resident i know the landscape (esp. in that area) and am back periodically. I also don’t run a specific community (q3) but consult with a few.

Let me know if it’s still worthwhile me applying.

(Daniel Doherty) #234

Thanks @HAWK relly appreciate this

(Daniel Doherty) #235

Hi Darren,

Yes the Dukeshead is still there, funny I run events for the Putney Social Group in the room upstairs, I really am Mr Putney :slight_smile:

If you think you might be able to attend one of the CLC events please do apply and I’ll let you in, don’t want you being a lone ranger do we?

Do you have a link to you speaking about a community?

Look forward to learning more about you and hopefully meet you in person :slight_smile:
Thanks Daniel

(Darren Gough) #236

Hi Daniel,

I don’t have much history doing any formal speaking as such - I favour more personal / small group chat interactions or panel hosting but certainly happy to attend a meetup and connect.

I’m in London periodically so let me know a few meetup dates and I’ll try and sync with my calendar.

(Daniel Doherty) #237

Sounds great, would love to have you along.

Trying to confirm the first CLC London event on 27th July at the moment if you are free please pencil it in.

Look forward to meeting you, thanks Daniel

(Fernando Schneider) #238

Hey, everyone!

I’m taking my first steps towards Community Management. Started working at Hoplon Infotaintment in October 2017, in Brazil, and we are currently developing the game Heavy Metal Machines. I’m excited and have been encouraged to make my way to be a Community Manager of our gaming community, so I did some research and asked some people in the area and ended up here at Feverbee! I also got from Hoplon the Strategic Community Management 2018 course and I hope to grow and learn much from here :slight_smile:

Can’t wait to be able to contribute more and more to this wonderful place!

(Richard Millington) #239

Hey @danieldoherty thanks for joining us and your kind words about our work.

Sorry it’s taken some time to get back to you, I’ve been at the World Cup in Russia the past few weeks.

Congrats on the Facebook role. Sounds like an amazing project.

Good luck with everything.