Finding it difficult to let go

reading

(Mark Baldwin) #1

So here’s the problem. It’s time for me to start looking for another job as my current employer can only afford to keep me on in a part time basis. I’ve done community management, support emails, marketing and PR work and I’ve overseen some fantastic growth in our fan base (we make video games)

But 4 years down the line and finances are tight in a small company, so cuts have been made. I’ve been clinging on, trying to make ends meet and looking to pick up some extra work but I think I’m fooling myself.

I know it’s time to move on, but I can’t bring myself to do it. I’m not sure if it’s some kind of misguided loyalty or if I’m right in my comfort zone.

I think I need a push.

Send help.

(Shreyas) #2

I feel ya! I’ve been in a similar situation sometime in 2016. I liked my team and was really passionate about the work. But then we ran out of funds and eventually shut shop. In a way, I think was a good thing because if that wouldn’t have happened, I probably wouldn’t have ever switched jobs! While the company was doing bad at some point, I did get some offers to take up new roles, but my loyalty kept me going at the same company. I didn’t want to leave them at their worst times. I always thought that we’d get through that tough time.

I think this feeling is partly due to the passion that we all have for what we do. What really helped me was talking to others in the industry, and getting a sense of what I want to be doing. Sort of setting a career path for myself.

I’ve seen a lot of community roles in the gaming industry. Just saw these on twitter, in case you’re interested.

Here’s a gentle nudge. :raised_hand::raised_back_of_hand:

(Mark Baldwin) #3

This, 100%. Thanks for the push. :slight_smile:

(Robert McIntosh) #4

I think this is common for anyone who has built a business or a community. If you have your personal identity and sense of self / achievement tied up with something, it is VERY hard to let go. I had something similar with a project I was involved with, and it took me until I hit a rather bad place in terms of my mental health before I could give it up.

Don’t let it come to that.

If you know it is time to do something else, make that commitment. It will be hard, but best do it while it is still the right decision and not one forced on you.

Don’t forget it is easier to get new jobs and leads while you are still working on something though, so you are not giving up - and you can fulfil your bargain by working on the current site with a view to making it succeed as best you can even once you’ve left while you also look for new things to get involved with.

Good luck!

(Mark Baldwin) #5

Thanks @thirstforwine some great points especially about using the current situation while still employed to the best.

(Piper_Wilson) #6

Here’s the general new-agey answer. Follow your passion. You may feel passionate about where you are, but that isn’t the same as being passionate about where you’re going.

I’m sorry this is happening. I’ve always enjoyed your posts because you so obviously care about your community.

I’d also advise you to go ahead and let yourself grieve for the loss.

Here’s another nudge for you. :fist_right:

(Richard Millington) #7

@Mjbill it’s clear you care so much about your community. It’s also pretty clear to need to move on.

It’s not healthy for your community or for you to be underpaid for your work. It’s going to stress you out and that will probably impact your work on the community - or force you to leave the field entirely.

There are so many other communities in the world that need the same level of care you’ve shown to yours.

(Mark Baldwin) #8

Thanks for the words of encouragement. Just what I needed. Time to update the CV and bring my Linkedin profile up to date. :slight_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #9

Same thing happened to me. I couldn’t imagine leaving my community but it turned out to be the best thing. Sometimes it’s just hard to envisage. Do it… Good luck.:slight_smile: