FeverBee Podcast 32 : Kevin W. Grossman

(Sarah Hawk) #1

Kevin W. Grossman is the co-founder and co-host of the highly popular TalentCulture #TChat Show alongside of Meghan M. Biro. In this episode, we focused on the concepts of organic building while using Twitter as a platform.

About Kevin

Kevin W. Grossman co-founded and co-hosts the highly popular weekly TalentCulture #TChat Show with Meghan M. Biro. He’s also currently the Product Marketing Director for Total Talent Acquisition products at PeopleFluent. A certified Talent Acquisition Strategist (TAS) and Human Capital Strategist (HCS) by HCI, Kevin has over 15 years of domain expertise and familiarity with the HR and recruiting technology marketplace and remains a top social influencer in leadership, human resources, talent management and recruiting. He’s an active CandE council member for the Talent Board’s Candidate Experience Awards, and has been a prolific “HR business” blogger and writer since 2004 — his first business book titled “Tech Job Hunt Handbook” was released in December 2012 from Apress.

I first met Kevin in 2011, when I was a community manager at Focus.com. We worked together on the early episodes of #TChat Radio. Kevin’s experience and track record in the HR industry is unparalleled. Combined with his passion for community, I felt that this made him a great candidate for the show. I highly recommend connecting with him on Twitter (@kevinwgrossman).

Soundbytes

There are so many directions that we could have taken our conversation, but we focused on the core topic of leveraging Twitter as a platform to build a community.

• On why they’ve kept the community on Twitter so long: “The community ebbs and flows with Twitter as the backbone. It’s where our people are.”
  • On being successful with Twitter as a platform: “Our community comes every week because we’re THERE every week, and interacting with them.”
  • On welcoming new members: “Every week I make a conscious effort to connect with the new members that I meet on the chat, and share their Tweets. It doesn’t matter if they have 2 followers or 200K. That part doesn’t matter.”
  • On incorporating new types of content: “[Marketers] keep doing webinars that are an hour long, yet live attendance is only 25%. It’s an on-demand world now. Video has been very well received.”
  • On advice for building a stronger community on Twitter: “Don’t just post and say “isn’t it great?” Start an actual conversation and interact. That’s always been the heart of community.”

Resources and Related Links

Kevin mentioned several different examples and resources. Check them out below!

• TalentCulture — The home to #TChat and the HR blogger community
  • '#TChat — The original Tweet stream, still going strong after almost 5 years. Check it out!
  • '#TChat Radio Show — Accompanying interview-based talk show that prefaces #TChat each week.
  • About #TChat page — Great example of how to tell community members what they can do during the chats
  • 99% Invisible Podcast — Link to the “hashtag” episode that Kevin mentioned.
  • DriveThru HR — Daily radio show that focuses on HR practitioners. Also has a fantastic community related to it.
  • '#BufferChat — Another strong, Twitter chat-based community

What do you think?

There are a lot of ardent emotions around whether or not Twitter is a viable platform for building online communities. But despite the critics, I think groups like #TChat are proving that it can be done. Have you ever used Twitter as a platform for community building? What insights or thoughts do you have on the subject? Share with us on Twitter using the #fbpodcast hashtag.