FeverBee Podcast 31 : Ed Giansante

(Sarah Hawk) #1

Ed Giansante is the Global Community Manager for Dropbox, and Co-founder and CEO of E-Dublin.com.br, a community for Brazilian expats living in Ireland.

About Ed

Prior to Dropbox, Ed also worked in community, marketing, and operations roles at Zynga, Strategem iLabs, MRM WorldWide (McCann Group), and Intel. Ed founded E-Dublin in 2008 when he was unable to find information in his native language about living abroad in an English-speaking country. Since 2008, E-Dublin has picked up some impressive statistics and awards:

• Half-million monthly visits
  • 1.5 million views on YouTube
  • 150k fans on Facebook
  • 12k followers on Twitter
  • Winner of Best International Exchange & Experience Blogs 2015
  • Quarter-Finalist as Best Website Ireland 2014, Most Innovative Website Ireland 2014
  • Winner - Outstanding Website - Web Awards 2013
  • Semi-Finalist - Best Daily Publication - Web Awards Ireland 2013
  • Shortlisted - Most Useful Website in Ireland - Web Awards 2013
  • Winner of the Best International Exchange & Experience Blogs 2010
  • Finalist at Awards.ie - Category Best PopCulture Blog 2010
  • Nominated for Dardo Awards 2009

Soundbytes

Our conversation was largely focused on the story of E-Dublin, and how Ed works to keep the community unique and competitive with the rising amount of travel-related content on the web. He also shared some tips for people who are interested in developing their own communities:

• On maintaining E-Dublin’s core concept: “Moving abroad is a major change in someone’s life. We have to make sure we set the right expectations early on.”
  • On how they stay unique: “The community is what really makes the difference. It’s the vision of our members that really shines through.”
  • On platform adjustments: “We don’t get stuck in UI testing. Because if you start to do that, you lose your place. But we love to take risks and adjust.”
  • On starting your own community: “Are you in the process of doing it? Or are you actually doing it? I challenge you to invert the pyramid.”
  • On why Ed devotes his time: “I do it because it’s a community I belong to. It’s something I’m part of. I am one of them.”

Resources

What do you think?

A lot of the largest, and most successful online communities started with just one person who was willing to share their experiences with whoever else might be interested. How does this compare to the way that most of us go about building branded online communities today? Is it realistic to be able to balance strategic planning with simply just getting the work done? Share your thoughts with us on Twitter using the #fbpodcast hashtag.