Feedback on a revised community lifecycle

reading

(Richard Millington) #1

Hi everyone,

I’ve spent some time this week working on a revised community lifecycle that is hopefully more useful and detailed than what came before. I’d love to get your feedback on it before I publish it this week:

The FeverBee Community Lifecycle.pdf (157.6 KB)

Does this give with your experiences? How would you rank yourself now? Is it more useful than what we had previously?

(David Ulonska) #2

Hi Richard

Can you please clarify the platform line item? Specifically, as a community goes from Establishment for Maturity, why does it necessitate a change in platforms from something like Facebook (and by extension I’m including Workplace) to an open source forum?

Thanks
David

(Richard Millington) #3

It’s an open source or licensed platform (and it depends).

I wouldn’t include Workplace in there actually. I’m still waiting to see how that turns out.

The problem with the simple platforms is two-fold.

1. It becomes hard to follow activity. Thus most people fade away.
  2. It’s terrible for attracting and satisfying the very lurkers who drive most of the value in the community.

Usually, you want to move to a platform you control where you can properly surface and display the right content both for search traffic and to make it easier to browse activity.

Does that help?

(David Ulonska) #4

Thanks Richard. I think that perspective helps.

For context to my question… internally, we are watching with angst the social platform conversation play out to gauge which platform we would be rallying around to support our internal online communities. That said, it’s highly unlikely it would be a dedicated community platform, and instead a tool such as Workplace or Google+, for instance. Which isn’t optimal, but the closest we might get to support our needs.

So my question was coming from the angle of whether that would mean from a maturity standpoint per your model whether we would never be able to get to a more optional level of maturity given the potential limitations of our platform to do so.