[Facebook Community Consultant] Meet Diana Tower

people
introductions

(Diana Tower) #1

Hi Everyone,
Diana here! I’m super excited to be wrapping up the course (whoop whoop) with a strategic plan in hand and to dig into these questions from Sarah.

Do you currently manage a community?

I do indeed! I am the Community Manager and Mindset Coach for my primary client Ramit Sethi’s Accelerator program. Accelerator provides online coaching and a FB group based community to 700+ entrepreneurs who are starting their own businesses or taking their successful businesses to the next level.

What career path brought you to where you are now?

Just last week I posted on my Facebook answering the Q “what do you do?”. If anyone is interested in the long version they can see how I went from working in Chapters (a Canadian bookstore chain in Calgary Canada) to strategically managing Ramit’s paid membership Community from the south of Spain. Here’s the post: here

If you prefer the short and sweet version. I got my BA in English with honours (while working at a bookstore), moved to Spain in 2006 and had been teaching ESL to Spanish professionals for just over 10 years. That’s when I joined Zero to Launch and Accelerator and I couldn’t help myself from supporting others, answering questions and basically doing my job for free. Several months later I had a new job. :slight_smile:

What is the biggest challenge you face in your job?

Until taking this course, it was figuring out how I should spend my time. What tactics would actually support our community. I work with incredibly strategic people, and this got the community to where it is currently, but I wanted to have a plan that would tell me what I should be doing and when, so I can protect my bandwidth and really make an impact on our student’s businesses, while driving the company’s goals.

Now that I’ve completed the course (high fives self!!) I see my new biggest challenge as data. Knowing what to focus on, how to measure it, how to analysis it and interpret it to then improve, feels like a gap for me. I’m lucky to know several people who are well versed with this, so I’ll be closing that gap.

What’s the best job you ever had that wasn’t in community management and does it inform your CM work in any way?

Well, to be honest my current job is by far the best job I’ve ever had. :slight_smile:

BUT…if I have to choose a runner up, it would be my previous job. Teaching ESL to Spanish professionals online and doing in person residential intensive programs. I love teaching and helping people master a skill (such as speaking English in a professional setting).

How did that job inform my CM work?

I know that it helps me as a coach for sure. As a CM, it allows me to notice, validate and respect the emotions of our students/members. When Richard said that strategy was simply triggering emotions it felt like Christmas to me. Emotions are my bag!

So there you have it. A little bit more about me. :slight_smile:

Curious: Is anyone else managing a community on Facebook? I’d love to connect. :slight_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Calling @Suzi_Nelson and @Mjbill

(Mark Baldwin) #3

Feel free to connect away @diana_tower

(Colleen Young) #4

Also tagging @Charlotte_Moller_van

(Diana Tower) #5

Oooo Facebook Community Managers! :slight_smile: It’s great to meet you Mark, Colleen, Susi and Charlotte. This makes me wonder if there is a place to discuss FB specific issues, roadblocks and hacks. :slight_smile: I’m going to do some digging in the forum. :slight_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #6

There are a few disparate convos about Facebook and the challenges, but I think it makes sense to start a new topic so you have a space for it. The Salesforce and Discourse users do.

Here you go!

(Diana Tower) #7

Thanks Sarah! This is awesome!

(David Spinks) #8

Also on facebook groups here!