Examples of communities that create and share resources

challenges

(Richard Millington) #1

Hey members and @ALLIES

Do any of you have or know of communities that create and share valuable resources or templates for one another.

I’m thinking of communities like Envato, where people are encouraged to upload materials others can use or Kaggle where people share their word and datasets that others can play with and edit.

Open to a wide range of ideas and options here. The more diverse the better!

Let me know if you can come up with anything!

(Adrian Speyer) #2

Hey Richard,

Here are a couple I could think of:

I will try to think if some others.

(Richard Millington) #3

Do you think any of them would fall within the category of having the goal of primarily to share detailed resourced and templates?

(Adrian Speyer) #4

Hmmm good point, although, there is a lot of template and example sharing, I will need to think about communities that have that as a sole purpose.

I’ll get back to this if I can think of one or two…

(Rebecca Braglio) #5

the last community I worked on, ProjectManagement.com, has a huge resource of templates, webinars, and other types of deliverables. All generated by users. I’d say the primary purpose of the community there is to share this type of information.

(Luis Villa) #6

Wikipedia does a lot of this, but it is not the primary purpose of the community.

(Well, it isn’t the stated primary purpose of the community; but sometimes rules-production does actually feel like the primary purpose :wink:

(Richard Millington) #7

That could be a great example, thanks @rebeccabraglio!

(Richard Millington) #8

Hey @rebeccabraglio,

Would you or anyone at PMI be willing to talk about this? I’m really interesting in how the idea came around, the perceived value of these resources, and any thoughts you might have about it for the book.

(Ben Edwards) #9

community.smartthings.com has done a good job of wrangling a lot of makers and hackers and there is a lot of helping and sharing there.

(Laleh moli) #10

:thinking: I have seen lots of good experiences and resources shared in instructables;

https://www.instructables.com/

I don’t think people call it a community though.

(Neofytos Kolokotronis) #11

How about MakerBot’s community on 3d printing designs?

(Ceri Heathcote) #12

Our community is focussed around creating and sharing teaching resources. This includes quick ideas, more detailed ‘how to’/lesson plans and downloadable resources. We also have Q&A and special interests groups for more traditional forum type interaction. It is fairly new as it only just launched in January.

(Richard Millington) #13

That might be perfect @cerih - is it possible to talk to or interview someone there about it?

(Ceri Heathcote) #14

@richard_millington yes I would be happy to talk to you, I am responsible for the design, launch and strategy of the community. Would you be able to provide me with information about where it would be published and if we could sign off final copy. Thanks. Fine to email me direct if easier.

(Richard Millington) #15

Hi @cerih,

I’d love to chat. Sounds like it could be a perfect example for the book I’m working on.

Happy to let you sign off on the quotes, but I can’t give final copy approval. Not sure any author would agree to that :slight_smile:

Let me know if that works for you.

(Ceri Heathcote) #16

@richard_millington would it be possible to get the questions emailed over in advance?

(Rebecca Braglio) #17

I’d be happy to connect you with the founder of the community. PMI acquired ProjectManagement.com (and then I was hired). I don’t know what (if any) issues PMI might have around it being discussed, but I can at least get you in touch with the man who created it.

(Richard Millington) #18

Yes that would be perfect!

Would you mind making the introduction?

(Kathleen Ulrich) #19

My organization provides industry reference models, a maturity model and a tool evaluator. These are template and spreadsheet based, and collaboratively created.

(Rebecca Braglio) #20

Not at all - let me tell him you’ll be reaching out and I’ll pm you his info