Email campaign to customer

(Chris Detzel) #1

Hi there,

I am looking at creating an email campaign to send to customers that use our webshops, in the USA, but do not currently use our community. I would like to put together a 4 week campaign full of give a ways. For example, one week I could say something like the below. I’m not a guru of crafting amazing emails, and I will be getting help from my email eCommerce team. Take a look, let me know your thoughts. Any guidance or thoughts on what others have done to get new users would be helpful. I would have four emails overall that go out like this. Obviously I would have them answer a different question each week.

“Win a free Klein 55452RTB 24-Pocket Tradesman Pro Rolling Tool Bag! Rexel has a new community site for electricians called The Grid. The Grid is a place where you can go to talk shop with fellow electricians and ask our industry experts and peers for advice. To win the new Rolling Tool Bag, all you have to do is click this link and answer this question (Describe the oldest hand tool that you are still using and post a pic?). Before you can answer the question, you will have to create a new user login. Don’t forget to fill out your profile to add a pic and your expertise! The winner will be chosen at the end of the week, and the results will be posted on The Grid. (Tool Bag link)”

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Crafting compelling emails is a gift of @richard_millington’s, so hopefully he can weigh in here.

In the mean time, I have a couple of tips. Priming and persuasion. Make everything about the reader and appeal to their values. Is a tool bag the value prop here, or could you pitch it as icing on the cake (the cake being the amazing community)?

“Rexel has a new community site for electricians called The Grid” could be “We have a new community called The Grid for people just like you.”

I like your use of the words “talk shop” (assuming that is something that sparkies say to each other). Using their words is important.

I’m also wary of this: “To win the new Rolling Tool Bag, all you have to do is click this link and answer this question” Is that all they have to do to win, or does that put them in the draw?

Also consider how you pitch the work required. “Before you can answer the question, you will have to create a new user login” might be better turned around to say something like “Become part of this exciting/helpful/[whatever appeals to electricians] community and start sharing trade secrets here [link].”

You could also consider mixing it up so that one email is all about the prize (like your example) and another is all about the value they’ll get from joining the community (access to trade secrets, discounts, potential jobs etc.

This might be useful too. It’s part of a bigger post I wrote some time ago about stimulating traffic:

Converting from mailing lists

There are a number of ways to take advantage of your existing mailing lists to redirect traffic to your community, but be careful that you don’t spam people with unwanted messages.

• Order confirmation emails have very high open rates, so it makes sense to take advantage of that. A good example of this (that actually adds value) would be to place a CTA to a part of the community that supports the product that someone just bought.
  • Try adding a ‘Did you know we have a community?’ section at the end of your emails (like @richard_millington has been doing for Sprint recently).

• When someone signs up to your newsletter (or any other mailing list) you can retarget them in the confirmation email with an additional message about the community.

(Chris Detzel) #3

Very good insight! Thank you!

(Richard Millington) #4

This is such a big topic really and I have SO many questions.

Think of an email campaign as taking someone on a journey but they can only see every 1/3rd email you send out. Most emails aren’t opened anyhow.

So some major questions to begin:

1. Do people know the community exists right now?
  2. Do they know you exist but don’t see the value?
  3. Do they see the value but don’t trust you to deliver it?
  4. Are they members of existing/rival communities?

These questions will have a big impact upon the kind of emails you send out. Is the key goal to make them aware of the group? Value the group? Build your own trust?

If it’s awareness, then you have to be clear what the community is and how it helps them do something better than they’re already doing it. Talking with fellow experts/connecting with others is weak. Getting the best advice on what {tools} to use when {whatever} is much stronger. How does the community help them do something better than they’re already doing it?

e.g. email 1: What is the best way to do {x}? (with a link to a relevant discussion about it)
e.g. email 2: Guess who just joined The Grid (mention name of famous person)
e.g. email 3: Can you help {person} solve {problem}? (with link to discussion)
e.g email 4: 5 tips from The Grid this week (with link again to discussions)

This would be all about introducing the community and insinuating the value.

If you have a trust problem, then you’re looking more at building trust by sharing the best advice, providing free tips, and establishing your own credibility in the field.

Skip any generic giveaways. They’re going to do more harm than good.

Don’t focus on the mechanics of registering, people are generally smart (unless you’re using a really bad system). Focus on increasing their motivation to get through to the amazing stuff on the other side. Don’t require registration to do this.

But focus on the email journey. The start, middle, and end. Make sure people don’t need to read the previous emails to understand what’s going on. Test and refine.

Good luck

(Alessio Fattorini) #5

Wow such amazing advice here :slight_smile:

This is my preferred. You’re right. People return if they are sure to find something valuable.

(Chris Detzel) #6

@richard_millington thank you for the note. Such good stuff here!

1. People really don’t know that The Grid exists, although we are getting a lot of hits from our content, per Google, we are just not getting people to login. Maybe it’s because we don’t have a great CTA? I’m not sure, but I have a feeling.
  2. They know our company exists, but they don’t know that The Grid does.
  3. This answer depends. In the US, our brand isn’t well known within the industry, but it is very well known in all of the other countries. (Canada, France, Germany and others)
  4. I don’t think so. We have more employees within the community rather than electrician customers now, helping to create content. However, I think there needs to be more communication with employees about The Grid so that they can go and tell their customers. Any thoughts on this?

(Sarah Hawk) #7

Was The Grid concept created based on a researched need, or a perceived need?

(Chris Detzel) #8

It was heavily researched. About two years ago we didn’t have a place for customers to buy online. We have changed that, buy creating a place where they can now buy online. Each online shop is different in each country and company. We have relied heavily on customers coming to branches and working directly with their sales reps. We believe that the internet, social and building an online presence is vital for the future of our company and the industry. I think the important thing, that I didn’t mention, we are building in language packs for The Grid so that each country can read it and see it in their native language. This is taking time and takes a lot of money. This will be key for us to be successful.

(Sarah Hawk) #9

Have you tried any targeted PPC advertising?

(Chris Detzel) #10

Unfortunately we don’t have budget for that yet. That could be a possibility though.

(Chris Detzel) #11

I’m doing some of this now in Canada. We are seeing some logins, and people clicking on links, but not a ton of engagement as of yet. I have only had it on for two weeks. More to come here!

Chris