Don’t Create Another Cacophony of Noise

(Richard Millington) #1

Originally published at: https://www.feverbee.com/noise/
Should I tell my team I’m writing this blog post right now? Should you share that you’re reading it? Should your team share what they’re working on today? Well, it depends. Well intentioned efforts to encourage people to share what they’re doing becomes a cacophony of noise. It makes your inbox look quiet. There might be serendipitous value within that noise. Two people might discover they’re working on similar projects. You might get advice from someone with experience. The group might also develop stronger bonds. But you’ll need to deliberately wade through a whole lot of mundane updates to find…

(Bas van Leeuwen) #2

THEN TELL ME WHY YOU’RE SHARING THIS ARTICLE
Nothing worse than someone just dumping a link in a social setting.
“Here you all, you should all spend 20 minutes of your time on this, I can’t be bothered to type a singly sentence to tell you what it is though”

People who do that should be flogged

Note: this does not apply to 1:1 communication, there’s enough trust that you though about it there.

So yeah, I’m wholeheartedly agreeing with you :slight_smile:

(Nick Emmett) #3

Totally agree with this. I’m a big advocate of Working Out Loud, but it isn’t useful if it’s just used wantonly. Focused sharing is what will help people as well ourselves. The objective is to streamline what we do and not clog our inboxes up with things we don’t need, or want, to read. The same needs to be acknowledged for our feeds too.

Working Out Loud is an extension for how we work and, used correctly and wisely, can be a huge benefit to efficiency and collaboration. Used in a misaligned and unfocused way it just creates a far to busy and noisy view of how things are.

Nice article, cheers