Does anyone see the irony of me, generally a lurker, posting here...?

(Joel Zaslofsky) #1

Continuing the discussion from [5 December] What are you working on this week?:

(Sarah Hawk) #2

I had to make a new topic because this fascinates me.

Not so much the irony (although that is not lost on me) but the fact that you feel a part of this community (which you very much are) yet still consider yourself a lurker.

Can you verbalise the rationale behind your infrequent posting? We can probably all learn from it.

p.s. it’s good to hear from you :wink:

(Sarah Hawk) #3

I’m bumping this topic because you made another comment recently about your lurker status @JoelZaslofsky and I’m curious about it.

In a recent post, Rich mentions three common reasons that lurkers cite for not participating:

1. They don’t have enough time.
  2. They don’t feel they have anything to contribute.
  3. They don’t feel they are smart enough to share their knowledge.

I get the feeling that you don’t fall into these categories (at least not the second two) – is there a 4th?

(Joel Zaslofsky) #4

I don’t know if there are more than three common reasons, @HAWK. But if my thirty-seven years on this planet and years of dealing with exceptions to the rule are any indication, there are probably ten or more infrequent reasons for lurking.

My specific reason is that I just don’t enjoy text-based forums very much. I type slow, don’t feel eloquent when writing, and lose so much context in communication that I could simply convey with the tone of my voice or a key non-verbal gesture.

In other words, I’m a face-to-face kind of guy. I’m a “I’d rather talk for ten minutes than write for sixty minutes” kind of guy. As much as my extroversion is an asset in the physical world, it’s a hindrance in my digital life.

I’m already feeling slightly drained just typing this much and wishing we could just chat about the topic informally with all the wonderful nuance of the spoken word. The moment FeverBee Experts (or any community I belong to) takes the connection to a Google Hangout/Zoom room/Skype group call with real-time verbal interaction is the moment you see my contributions and activity go way up.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Then thank you for taking the time – it’s appreciated.

I suppose there will always be people that like one medium but not others – for instance I don’t like watching video so wouldn’t get any value from a recorded Google hangout, but I do enjoy writing.

I don’t know if the answer is to find a middle ground, or if we need to accept as practitioners that there will always be a sub-section of our target audience that we can’t reach on our chosen platform.

A follow up question: Given that you prefer not to respond in text, do you find value in reading other people’s responses here? You can just answer yes or no. :wink:

(Joel Zaslofsky) #6

I do find a lot of value from lurking here, Hawk. There will always be a place for text-based connection and forums, and this/our community is a great example of that.

A problem I have with lurking in general is that it reminds me I’m not contributing. And that becomes an internal issue because I’m very other-oriented and generosity-fueled.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

Maybe you need a voice-to-text app!

(Shreyas) #8

Also a non-verbal gesture to emoji app?
¯_(ツ)_/¯
:wink: