Does anyone play games in their community?

(Sarah Hawk) #1

@David_Spinks wrote an article recently about stimulating engagement and one of the tips is to play games.

In a community I used to manage, games were very popular and did keep people connected to the community. Here, I can’t imagine what kind of games would work.

I’m interested in whether anyone has games in their communities and what kind of results they deliver.

(Kristen Gastaldo) #2

Do you mean games or gamification? Are we talking about word puzzles in a space or earning points? Just curious!

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Playing actual games – example here.

(Travis King) #4

We had a meme game kind of spring up organically that was pretty fun. But it was completely community driven.

(Piper_Wilson) #5

My former community has lots of gaming and joke threads. Just like Travis’ experience, they’re all community driven.

I have to say that your example looks like a lot of fun. I’d enjoy playing it.

(Nikoletta Harrold) #6

I love these ideas but how do we feel about being totally off topic? The pets and memes are fun… but what if they have nothing to do with your community. Does anything see it as a danger at all or am I being paranoid?

(Sarah Hawk) #7

I’ll answer with a question. Is there a downside to off-topic discussions?

(Nikoletta Harrold) #8

In our world yes. As a financial company we are highly regulated from a legal perspective and we are getting checked on regularly for content that is under our name/ umbrella. Copyright laws and FINRA laws are very important and a huge liability.

(Sarah Hawk) #9

That makes sense. There are lots of word games that wouldn’t cause potential issues there (she says, knowing nothing about the law!) but I guess on the flip side, maybe not all communities lend themselves to games.

(Richard Millington) #10

If you want more engagement, games can work.

If you want value, I’d be surprised to see any relationship between games and useful outcomes.

(Sarah Hawk) #11

Maybe a tenuous one if it helps to build a sense of community, which in turn supports wider objectives.

(Richard Millington) #12

I think it becomes a very tenuous link to say playing online games builds a sense of community which increases, say, retention rates.

You could arguably say games are culture / rituals, but it’s a bit of a stretch in an online setting.

(Peter Staal) #13

What about the games that Reddit organizes each year on April fool’s? http://www.businessinsider.com/reddit-place-april-fools-experiment-canvas-2017-3?international=true&r=US&IR=T

(Peter Staal) #14

And this keynote during the leadership summit last year: http://www.communityleadershipforum.com/t/keynote-2016-by-clay-smith-communities-and-games/1090