Does anyone have any experience or good examples of online communities that have been successful facilitating collective “movements”?

challenges

(Robert Maaye) #1

Hi all

I was wondering if anyone had any experience or good examples of online communities that have been successful in facilitating collective “movements”?

A member of our online community (ConnectedCoaches – UK Coaching’s online community for coaches of all sports and activities) asked if we would be willing to support a united code version in the form of me-too, black-lives-matter etc where coaches of all sports can come under the same banner to stand up against all types of abuse we see in day to day sport. Also, showing commitment to being child development centred, rather than, coach, or performance, or parent opinion centred.

I’d be interested in hearing any examples people have of online communities who have done this successfully. Or if anyone has any experiences they have playing this role that they would like to share.

Look forward to reading any replies

Have a good weekend!

Cheers

Rob

PS (If there is an existing Feverbee thread/blog that I have missed that you think is worth reading please do let me know!)

(Kathleen Ulrich) #2

Fantastic. This is very much needed. I tried this on a small scale. I was working with underserved youth soccer players (footballers). We were trying to get the kids into the same types of elite tournaments as the wealthier kids. I set up a coaches’ corner on the team site with a coaches agreement and forum. One of the challenges was what one coach could share with another coach. There really aren’t guidelines. Good luck!

(Richard Millington) #3

I can’t recall on any blog post on this topic. But there’s thousands of blog posts there over the years.

(Luis Villa) #4

Women’s March and BLM come to mind? But perhaps that’s not quite what you mean?

(Jayashree Rukhaiyar) #5

Hey… Nike has done a bunch of community initiatives of which i really like the She Runs The Night campaign. https://www.marketingmag.com.au/hubs-c/she-runs-the-night-strategy-execution-results-of-nikes-groundbreaking-campaign/

i have other examples of communities that have gamified member activities towards causes. Not sure that would qualify as a movement though