Do you have a roadmap?

(Sarah Hawk) #1

On the back of Rich’s post about individual roadmaps, I’m interested to hear how granular other organisations get with personal development planning.

Does anyone have a personal roadmap?
How do you decide what training and/or events you take/attend?
What events are you attending this year?

(Rebecca Braglio) #2

Yep! I usually come up with 3 big goals for each year and then do a roadmap for each one on how I’ll complete them. First one was finally getting through the Feverbee videos. I’ve been resistant because I thought I wouldn’t learn anything really new, but it’s been an excellent refresher. It’s also reminded me why I got into community management and put the fire back into my belly. I’m currently looking for conferences/events that are more data analysis focused and some training in SEO. I figure these won’t necessarily be community focused so I’m expanding my search - maybe Adobe has some training that could be useful.

My second big goal is getting back to my personal website and updating the design and turning it into a collaborative community. This will require brushing up on my coding skills and learning more UX. I’m going to try to use as many free online resources for this stuff, although there are a few really good Meetup groups in the Philadelphia area that offer classes.

Finally, I want to get my law license reinstated. I let it lapse since I no longer practice. I have to pay a fortune to get it reinstated and take a ton of continuing education classes for the years I’ve been inactive, but I want to see how I can start using it in community management, etc.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Let me know what you come up with. I’m looking along similar lines. I think the marketing/community crossover space is something that is going to become more and more important, and understanding and leveraging traffic is a huge part of that.

[quote=“rebeccabraglio, post:2, topic:2040”]
and learning more UX
[/quote] When you get to this point, flick me an email. I can help you out with resources and online learning.

(Priscilla McClay) #4

I’ve fortunately always been given a chance to feed into my own objectives and development plan for the year, but making sure this fits into a longer-term career plan is another issue. Organisations I’ve worked for have been happy to try and make development plans feed into your career plan if possible, but they can’t do this unless you tell them what your aims are. And, as we’ve been discussing, career paths in community are not always clear.

(Sarah Hawk) #5

I’ve found one that looks amazing. http://live.conversionxl.com/
I’m heading along, and I know that @edfryed is also. Anyone else?

(Ed Fry) #6

ConversionXL Live looks to be an awesome event. I’ve fangirled about here hehe: https://inbound.org/discuss/why-i-m-flying-to-conversionxl-live-next-month-3-days-in-a-resort-woohoo-and-why-you-should-too

So far as other SEO events, we’ve asked that in our community too - granted it’s more tailored to SEO professionals, but you might find some of the answers interesting: https://inbound.org/discuss/ask-inbound-which-seo-conferences-are-you-planning-on-going-to-in-2016

I think a big part of attending conferences is the people and where’s accessible for you. Depending where you are, I could recommend a few?