[Discussion] Onboarding and email confirmation

(Sarah Hawk) #1

I have long been torn between the bad UX of confirming email addresses and the perceived necessity of doing so for security reasons.

Patrick raises some interesting points in this article – specifically around ways of completing the confirmation loop without disrupting the onboarding journey.

We don’t require confirmation at all here at FeverBee and it has only once ever been an issue (a typo meant that someone wasn’t getting notifications).

I’m interested to hear how other people handle email confirmations.

(Susan Burton) #2

We are moving to mobile phone validation instead. We believe that this security check is important in reinforcing our brand as a trusted community.

(Sarah Hawk) #3

That’s really interesting @Susan_Burton. Is that based on feedback that you’ve received, data, or just a gut feeling (which I don’t think is any less valid)?

(Susan Burton) #4

Gut feeling actually!

(Sarah Hawk) #5

Any idea of the approximate cost of implimentation?

(Richard Millington) #6

@Susan_Burton that’s really interesting.

I’ve been keen to do this for a while, but a) I’m not sure how to do it and b) I feel we’re still about 1 to 2 years away from this.

I very much love the idea of it though.

(Kath Reuben) #8

Very timely as I am currently writing our Welcome Guide which is a part of the onboarding process for us. As we are a closed B2B Community, we unfortunately need to validate our members. So, once you sign up you receive a confirmation email with a link valid for 24hours that continues the registration process. We cross reference the email domain with details in our CRM database to ensure authentication. I’d like to move to a mobile phone validation but we haven’t seemed to have figure out how to do that yet.

(Richard Millington) #9

I’d be curious to learn more about the welcome guide @Kath_Reuben .

What are you putting in it? What are you tracking? What kind of behavior are you looking for after people read the guide?

(Kath Reuben) #10

Guide is perhaps a bit of a stretch, it’s more a welcome letter that outlines what individuals can do on the community (raise technical cases; search for articles/how to guides etc), and with a link back to log into the community. Ideally, we’d want this to nudge people to log in and check out the community upon receipt.