Discussion Forum Layout for Events

engagement

(Angelo Luciani) #1

We hold a conference each year, and we have community forums boards that align with the conference. I usually have a category called Events > Let’s Talk XYZConf 2016 > bunch of discussion topics.

I’m wondering what if any, best practices exist for listing events on a community site? Should I remove older references to 2014, 2015, etc. and just have the current year? Do I make earlier years hidden from the site?

My current thinking is to hide past years and just display the current year topics.

Any guidance would be helpful - Thanks everyone

BTW - for access to conference resources we have a hidden area that we allow folks who attended the conference to access with a particular community role. That is separate from what I am asking above which is the public area.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Do the past event boards still get responses or are they completely dead?

If the latter, I’d get rid of them (but that’s not based on any best practice).

(Angelo Luciani) #3

Thanks @HAWK

The other boards a pretty much dead - no activity
Need to figure out a good way to archive the board or make it hidden :wink:

I’m on the Lithium platform - if anyone has suggestions that would be great !

(Sarah Hawk) #4

@Nikoletta_Harrold @Charlotte_Kubler @Claudius

(rhogroupee) #5

Another thing to take a look at is whether those old forums are being referenced in searches (maybe check your GA or Lithium analytics). Sometimes people refer back to those old notes/discussions without commenting, and the other thing is whether you’re getting any SEO benefit from having that historical record available.

(Nikoletta Harrold) #6

hi @aluciani - you can most certainly retire old boards and move them into a hidden environment on the community. Don’t ever delete anything, but just moving it to hidden, should keep your community clean and healthy. If you feel there is value in the threads beyond that year’s conference you could always export it into a pdf and attach is to the private group’s “Quick lins” or “Documentation” section.

We are definitely archiving/ hiding boards that are no longer active, I would say anything older than a year with activity should be removed in general. Personally I am going to set that limit at 3-6 months on my new community. If no activity has been registered on a major topic for 3 months, that means it is no longer top of mind.

Speak to your Lithium rep to find out if you hide old boards/ threads if the SEO ranking will be lost?

Hope this helps.
Niki

(Sarah Hawk) #7

Or search for something that’s hidden and see if it shows up in the results.

(Dean Samways) #8

Sidenote: Ooo, @Charlotte_Kubler is on here! I wondered when I would bump into another games industry bod. Hi Charlotte! Sorry, unhelpful to the thread I know.

(Sarah Hawk) #9

Also @Mjbill @Andrej_Raider @WouterS @Jeffrey_Otterspoor and @Maisha_Andriessen spring to mind on the gaming side of things.

(Dean Samways) #10

:+1:

Looking forward to hopefully speaking to you all soon.

(Mark Baldwin) #11

Hi @dean_samways, always nice to see other games industry people here as gaming communities are quite a different beast to other communities imo and need a slightly different approach to things like loyalty and brand recognition.

(Dean Samways) #12

Hey @Mjbill. Nice to meet you too. I’ve actually taken a side-step from games into tech but there’s so much transferrable knowledge I’d be silly to shut myself off from games industry community management. Plus, in my experience, there’s always so much innovation that happens in that sector, everyone should be be keeping an eye on it. That’s only reinforced, I suppose, by the salary survey published today where gaming is specifically mentioned in the third table, so it must be popular. Looking forward to hearing more from you and the gaming crew in the future.

(Claudius Henrichs) #13

(Thanks for looping me in, @HAWK)
I think event boards are always a bit special and they serve a very specific purpose. So it’s perfectly fine that they have a rather limited life span and activity peak. The structure you describe to have all event boards in a parent category ties it well together and helps to set them apart from the rest of the community. I would leave the old boards still accessible for two reasons:

• If it’s an annual event you will have returning visitors that might want to reference “do you remember that group shot from last years conference?”
  • For first time attendees it gives an opportunity to revisit past discussions to understand the vibe of the event.

To tie offline events to an online community what I’ve seen worked well is simply events summaries posted on the community. You could use these as a wrap up topic on the associated event board as well.

(Rachel McGuigan) #14

@aluciani I have found it useful for community members that have been around for each of those years to have access to them for ideas. You mentioned this is managed by role.

However, since it is about promotion of the new and current event, I think it is much more important to keep this a prominent and as easy to find as possible.