Discourse 'depth'

(Duncan Field) #1

Hello!

I’m looking at using discourse (seems like a favorite here) for our upcoming community.

My one concern is that it won’t have the ‘depth’ we need, which may be better addressed by a multi-forum approach.

We’re basically looking to have a mix of private and public spaces, so that we can partner with other organizations. Their members will have their own spaces (private categories or rooms) but also permissions to engage in the public spaces. I think this can be technically achieve on discouse, but I’m worried it will look too busy or chaotic.

Is anyone using discourse for a splintered audience like this? I’d appreciate any advice or suggestions (already using an appreciating the comparison tool!)

(Travis King) #2

We currently use Discourse and have several private and public categories. You shouldn’t have a problem :smiley:

(Sarah Hawk) #3

We also are. What you see here is the public facing forums, but we also have private ones for learning cohorts and clients. It works quite well.

You can set permissions by either individuals, groups, or Trust Levels.

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

That’s not a problem. People won’t see the private categories not available to them.

(Duncan Field) #5

Thank you @HAWK @Jay_Pfaffman and @Travis for your advice.

I just wanted to make sure that people can belong to multiple groups. As well, my concern was that our purposes might be better served by a platform with three levels of organization (Broad category, specific category, and individual threads), whereas Discourse appears only to have two. I’m worried about the scalability of this when we bring in other groups

(Jay Pfaffman) #6

Discourse has categories (your “broad category?”), subcategories (your “specific”), and topics (your “individual thread”). Here, “Discourse ‘depth’” is a topic. Categories can also have topics. But you can’t have sub-sub-categories.

Sometimes people contrive to use tags to make further sub-divisions. Tags can be limited to particular categories as well as used across categories; there is also granularity over who can use and create tags.

Though it seems like a limitation, really, having more subdivisions is just confusing.

(Duncan Field) #7

That’s great - I may be reading this wrong, but it appears that you said that discourse both does and doesn’t have subcategories.

I also like the use of tags, just because I imagine some categories may be fairly broad

(Sarah Hawk) #8

Discourse does have sub-categories, but only one level deep.