Discourse confusing: duplicate post appears with every reply by design?

(Lee Lee) #1

Hi All, I just realized something about Discourse which can be quite confusing for newbies, is it true that whenever I reply to a particular post in a thread, my post will actually appear TWICE in the thread? ie:

1. My post will append to the bottom of the thread and
  2. My post will also appear as a hidden indentation to the post to which I am replying?

Am I correct? At first I thought there was a glitch in the thread that generates duplicate posts whenever I post a reply, but then again it looks like it is set up this way by design ?

Can this feature be de-activated?

Thanks.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

It is deliberate and was heavily debated in the early days. It’s actually pretty handy if you want to follow a specific conversation which takes place within a wider topic.

From memory there are related settings. I’ll take a look tomorrow when I’m back at my Mac and report back.

(Erlend Sogge Heggen) #3

Bear in mind that we don’t actually store two versions of the reply, we just allow users to see the same reply in different contexts if they so choose.

If you’d like to turn this feature off completely, you should make a feature request for it on meta.discourse.org. Though maybe hiding it with CSS will be easier (which our community can also assist with).

(Jay Pfaffman) #4

That’s true, though, as you point out, the other one is hidden by default. While it might be confusing for a short threads, once a thread gets long, it’s very convenient to be able to see replies in context.

Also, there is a third place that messages show up; the reply down at the bottom will also allow you to expand the post to which it is replying, with a navigation link that will take you back up to where the original post was.