Deep engagement: our list of ideas and best practices

engagement

(Sarah Hawk) #1

We’ve been talking about the benefits of deep engagement a lot lately at work, and I figure it might be smart to put together a list of practical things that we do during the course of our days that actually stimulate this type of engagement IRL.

My No 1 tip relates to competence. Every time one of you joins up here I Google you. I make a note of your specific skills and interests and put it in a spreadsheet. I also email you personally in the hope that you’ll give me more information. Then every time someone posts a question or a challenge, I attempt to loop in someone from my database. That gives that person the opportunity to be an expert in their area of interest without having to declare themselves such.

Rich came up with a great one last week which I want to try. Every time someone emails you a question, answer it in the community and reply to them with a link to the conversation.

What are your tips for deep (or in fact any) engagement?

Introduce yourself (or at least just say hi)
(Nick Emmett) #2

This is an awesome topic @HAWK, I love it! Love both these ideas so far I do something similar with a database/spreadsheet of users but not as deep as yours by the sounds of it but I’m totally going to bring that in to focus. I constantly try to loop in other members, whether internal or external, who I think would have an opinion, or a solution etc.

(Alessio Fattorini) #3

I’m trying to do this as well, it’s super time-consuming but it’s definitely worth. I’m struggling with the structure of my spreadsheet, which data are you gathering? How did you have organized the fields?
Are you using a template for your personal email? /cc @Rob_Bosch

(Rob Bosch) #4

Exactly… Just bumped the ’ sort members by experience ’ topic in our trello page.

Any tips how to make a sheet or database so a community can easily find members with certain skills? Especially finding an easily searchable structure is difficult to accomplish… I/we definately could use some ;ips on this

(Sarah Hawk) #5

It sounds like yours may be more complicated than mine. I am only collecting name, username, and a text field that I note things down in – for example “Knowledge of Disqus. BA Business Admin. mobile, web, and consumer technology” – which I can search on.

I have a partial template:

Hi [name],
I’m really glad that you’ve joined up at FeverBee Experts – welcome. I thought I’d drop you a slightly more personal note than the automated ones that you will have received already from us.

[A couple of sentences relating to something that I’ve learned about the member from researching.]

Is there anything in particular that you’re looking for from us? If so, I’m happy to help you to find it. And if you have a minute, jump into this topic and tell us what you’re working on and what your challenges are. I imagine you come up against some [descriptor that relates to their work].

I look forward to hearing from you.

If they respond, I dig deeper about their interests. If not, I just record what I find during the research phase.[quote=“Rob_Bosch, post:4, topic:2069”]
Any tips how to make a sheet or database so a community can easily find members with certain skills?
[/quote] I haven’t made it available to the community. Some people may not feel comfortable with that. What might work though, is a spreadsheet that community members themselves fill out. A Google doc on which they can record their passions or interests. Thoughts?

Knowing your members
(David McClure) #6

@HAWK did you consider trying the Discourse profile notes plugin instead of a spreadsheet?

I’m also curious about whether adding more information to user cards would help members engage with each other…

(Bo McGuffee) #7

I like the idea of having more info on user cards. I look at that to get a feel for the people on here.

(Ad Huikeshoven) #8

Customer Relationship Management in a spreadsheet. What can the Discourse software offer in this regard?

Member Spotlight: Bas van Leeuwen talks analytics
(Sarah Hawk) #9

I did. In fact, I’ve used that plugin in a previous CM life but this time around we’re hosted so it’s not an option unfortunately.

Plugins are available to record info against members but in some ways it probably doesn’t make sense to reinvent the wheel when integration with existing products might make more sense (and in fact I should be doing that myself).

(David McClure) #10

Tossing in your support for the idea on that thread could only help :slightly_smiling:

(David McClure) #11

Another thing I’ve been thinking of recently is how best to measure engagement and possibly tie it into some sort of cohort analysis…

Here’s what we can get easily in the Discourse backend admin now.

It’d be cool if there were ways to combine metrics to show their current engagement as a reader and a poster. And to see those trends over time, etc…

(Sarah Hawk) #12

On an individual user level?

We currently have cohort analysis data across the community.

(David McClure) #13

What tools are you using to drive this? How well does Discourse tie into them and what kinds of events are captured?

EDIT: Just saw this thread: Member Spotlight: Bas van Leeuwen talks analytics