Curious about languages

(Piper_Wilson) #1

I’m in school and I try to go the extra mile in research. What I’m finding is that many articles are not in English.

Google Translate is decent enough for my purposes but I’m curious to see if anyone knows why there seems to less information in English than other languages. In my guesstimation, there are more posts in Spanish followed by French.

Any thoughts?

(Sarah Hawk) #2

Wow – I’ve not had that experience! Do you think it has to do with the topic that you’re researching, or are you noticing it across the board?

(Piper_Wilson) #3

Now that you mention it, I think it might be where I’m looking.

The way this current class works, we are supposed to create ‘business’ accounts on different sites, research the way other ‘businesses’ do their thing and create a post or two. This week is Instagram. We are supposed to use relevant hashtags. The pictures that come up when I look at # communitymanagement bring up pictures with English words but the captions are in a different language.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BSjNQ4LDWDy/ .

Now, I reckon it’s just me. Oh well, I like to be unique. :wink:

Which actually brings up a different question. If it’s the sites and stuff that I’m searching, why isn’t English stuff as well represented on sites other than Google?

(Wouter Schrijvershof) #4

My guess is that it has to do with the fact that those words aren’t translated in the language (yet). I see the same with the dutch language, we just don’t have words for Community Manager, Social Media, Content and Engagement. In the case we do have a dutch word for it we still prefer the english word.

(Piper_Wilson) #5

@WouterS - Thank you so much! That makes perfect sense.