CTA banner to invite visitors to join

(Nick Ivanter) #1

Sarah @HAWK, I remember you had a nice CTA banner here on this forum, inviting people to join the community, and now I’m not seeing it, even when I visit incognito. Have you removed it, and if so why?

The reason I ask is that I thought it was a good idea to create a similar banner for our own community to increase the conversions of first-time visitors into users, and so I went here to check it out once again, and … I’m not seeing it anymore.

(Sarah Hawk) #2

I did. @richard_millington and I had differing opinions on it, and since he pays the bills, I removed it. Rather than put words in his mouth, I’ll let him explain his position.

I continue to use it on another forum that I manage. You can see that in action here: http://community.uxmastery.com/

(Richard Millington) #3

I can’t remember this one. I think it was the design of the banner was
below the quality we wanted. I don’t think we noticed any major impact when
we removed it though.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Yeah, that might have been it. It’s not actually a banner, it’s a styled pinned banner topic, which doesn’t give much flexibility.

We weren’t tracking it here unfortunately but converts well on UXMastery.

(Nick Ivanter) #5

Thanks for the feedback! I’ll give it a try.

Umm… by the way, I noticed that the banner on UXMastery doesn’t seem to be displayed properly on mobile. Something you might want to look into, @HAWK .

(Sarah Hawk) #6

Unfortunately I don’t think there is a solution to that. It’s just a post styled with a background image, which means it’s not responsive. If you can think of a solution, I’m all ears!

(Nick Ivanter) #7

It appears that no background is set for the banner in mobile view at all. You can check it in a desktop browser by adding ?mobile_view=1 to the URL. I.e. http://community.uxmastery.com/?mobile_view=1

So it’s not an issue of the screen size.

In Discourse settings, CSS customizations for desktop and mobile are separate.

(Sarah Hawk) #8

Ah yes. Good call. Thanks.

Edit: Sorted.

(Alex Bowen) #9

Hey Nick,

You may be interested in a similar topic here: Customizing a Discourse Forum for non coders and designers