Critique needed - One liner to recognizing Ambassadors W/O Killing Engagement

(Katie Paffhouse Bussey) #1

Hi all,

We want to begin recognizing the members who have stepped up to be purposefully more active (starting and facilitating discussions and welcoming new members), but don’t want it to seem like a VIP members-only club for participating. I’m htiting a mental wall on how to describe this well - any tips for me on this write-up?

**Ambassadors will help answer questions, facilitate discussions, and help new members begin participating. **

Thanks!
Katie

(Katie Paffhouse Bussey) #2

I am shamelessly tagging word masters I have seen online. Would love your tips! @HAWK @Todd_Nilson @Nick_Emmett @ffield

(Nick Emmett) #3

"[quote=“Katie_Paffhouse_Buss, post:2, topic:4151”]
I am shamelessly tagging word masters I have seen online.
[/quote]

I think you’re mistaking me for some else :slight_smile:

What’s the context of your message @Katie_Paffhouse_Buss? Who’s it going to and where’s it going to sit?

(Sarah Hawk) #4

When I personally contact people to invite them to our ambassadors program at UX Mastery I say something along the lines of “We really value your contributions to this community and without your tireless support and energy this place wouldn’t be the same.”

Is that the kind of thing you mean?

(Katie Paffhouse Bussey) #5

And @Nick_Emmett - definitely need more context!

We have had four people being active ambassadors in the community but have not officially recognized their role. We are starting ambassador picks this week (example below). This is a blog post in the community and the full text will be sent to all members via an email alert.

I want to add a line recognizing how they stepped up. Our internal worry is that by recognizing these members as official contributors, it could stunt participation. But including a line “But we still want you to participate!” seems lame. Am I overthinking this!

Have you ever wandered into a bookstore and seen the “staff picks” recommendations? If you’re like me, I immediately find this section to pick my next book to read. Our goal with the Best Bets for Learning is a similar concept - members share resources, links, and articles that added value to their week, so that you can add value to yours. - Katie

Conscious Competence Ladder Article
From Cara Kaiser, SLP, Indiana
The “conscious competence ladder” outlines four stages of awareness and competence that each of us experience as we learn new skills. Reflecting on these levels alongside the skills and knowledge required for providing best practice to our children/families can help us identify new professional learning objectives and celebrate goals we’ve already achieved. This article is featured on a membership site “MindTools” but can be accessed without a login.

The Read-Aloud Handbook: Seventh Edition 7th Edition by Jim Trelease
Recommended by Lynn Wood, Audiologist and SLP, Illinois
This is a must have for therapists, parents, teachers—anyone interested in literacy and reading to children. It’s divided into two parts: the first half contains the “ways” and “whys” of raising readers; and the last half consists of an annotated bibliography (The Treasury) of almost 1000 children’s books for reading aloud, from picture books to novels, with synopses on hundreds of the stories and guides to the age of the audience for which it was written. There is a Spanish translation of THE READ-ALOUD HANDBOOK ( Manual de la lectura en voz) published in Columbia, South America by Fundalectura of Bogata, Columbia.

30 Million Words: Building a Child’s Brain Book: By Dana Suskind
Marge Edwards, SLP, Idaho
If you haven’t read this book yet, do it now! Dr. Suskind explores the science behind brain development and early language exposure, highlighting the fact that parent conversatation is the most important ‘brain builder’ in a developing child’s life! This book is particularly relevant in the LSL world because Suskind, a cochlear implant surgeon, connects brain science and cochlear implant technology with the idea that every child has the potential to listen, learn and develop language to their potential.

From Diagnosis to Action Article
Natalie O’Halloran, SLP, Oklahoma
This article does a nice job of laying out a general plan of action for a parent following diagnosis of their child’s hearing loss. Resource lists are provided to aid in the decision of a communication approach and seeking financial assistance-two challenging areas to navigate for a grieving family.

A special thanks to Cara, Lynn, Marge and Natalie for sharing their recommendations this week. These four have signed on as Ambassadors for Hearing First Learning Community. Ambassadors will help answer questions, foster discussion, and welcome new members.

(Katie Paffhouse Bussey) #6

Perhaps - after all, who uses emoticons?! :wink: KIDDING!

(Shreyas) #7

I like this idea. However, I would say that it’s a good idea to make the Ambassadors program more transparent. I’d like to know who are the Ambassadors, what have they done before, is it open for all, and most importantly- Can I beome an ambassador?
Perhaps on the same announcement thread, you could include a CTA like Sign up to become an ambassador or Does this sound interesting? You too can become an ambassaor! Click to know more. TIt’s obviously a great feeling to get recognized within a community.

(Nick Emmett) #8

Got it, nice idea to get it out there in a blog post. I don’t think you should worry about participation, it helps others to see that there are people on hand to answer questions or to help with connections, but also that there are even enough users for some to be classed as ambassadors. Especially then if you try to include in what you want them to do for you the role of trying to spark engagement and participation, pulling people in to conversation etc.[quote=“Katie_Paffhouse_Buss, post:5, topic:4151”]
But including a line “But we still want you to participate!” seems lame.
[/quote]

Agreed - but not so much in that it’s lame, but in that it’s not really necessary I don’t think. I take it people other than these four do participate regularly?[quote=“Katie_Paffhouse_Buss, post:5, topic:4151”]
Am I overthinking this!
[/quote]

Possibly! :slight_smile:

This works in the context, I think I would just pare the wording back slightly. Maybe something like:
“These four have signed up as Ambassadors for Hearing First Learning Community, where they’ll be helping to answer questions, encourage conversations and welcome our new members”

Perhaps it’s worth doing a bit of a Q&A with themm all individual, questions on a similar theme, to help people get to know them. That could feature on your blog. I did something like that with some of my top members, where they answered fairly standard set of questions around our products and how they use our community.