Creative ways to share success stories and milestones

(Kathy Davidson) #1

I’m very much focused on sharing success stories and metrics milestones. I’d love to hear and see how others are doing this. I really want to tell the story of our community creatively on an ongoing basis to really show how members are getting value from the space.

So, what are you working on?
(Gear Buzz) #2

I created a locked thread that only I can post in called

“Captain’s Blog”

I hint where I am trying to steer the ship and share tidbits of info to try to let the community peek behind my Wizard of Oz (community owner’s) curtain.

We are trying to start a “Hall of fame” area to celebrate community member’s forum contribution highlights.

(Richard Millington) #3

Hi @kdavid10

I guess the obvious question is what are you trying to achieve by sharing stories and milestones? Because this will usually guide what kind of tactics you’re trying to use.

Are you trying to get members to engage more? Are you trying to get stakeholders to believe in and support the community? What kind of emotional impact are you trying to provoke in the audience?

That would certainly narrow down what you’re trying to do here.

(Kathy Davidson) #4

We’re trying to do all of those things, really. First and foremost is getting stakeholders onboard. There are some nonbelievers out there, detractors even, so getting them to see the value will hopefully have a trickle down effect on other members that they influence.

(Richard Millington) #5

This is really useful, thanks.

With the stakeholders you have now, how do you currently feel about the community? Are they neutral about it? Do they consider it a threat to their own work? Do they consider it a waste of time or money? Why are they against it?

This goes into the persuasion side of things which is going to be very much about emotions I suspect. So presenting them with facts won’t help much.

(Kathy Davidson) #6

Some are neutral and some are quite vocal. Many are used to one way of working and feel changing that will uproot things and cause more work. Others simply are unaware of the value its bringing or don’t believe in it.

(Sarah Hawk) #7

Have you thought about using something like Evernote to collate snippets and stories as you come across them and then compiling those into weekly roundups or something?

I was thinking about doing the same thing here because I got a great message from a member yesterday that has been AWOL for over a year that said

Checked back into the Feverbee discussions this week and found lots and lots of very relevant threads.

and I was thinking about a way to share that kind of positive sentiment in a way that is valuable.

(Kathy Davidson) #8

Not Evernote specifically as its blocked on my corporate devices (grr!) but I do tag stories as success using a hashtag so they will all appear on one page that we can share out and people can choose to follow. I also highlight 4 stories each month in a reporting pack/email to execs.

I do like the idea of doing a weekly round-up or something more visible to all levels of the org.

(Richard Millington) #9

This is really useful.

So I’d skip anyone that has vocally stated they are against the community. Very few people will ever publicly change their minds (when was the last time you changed your mind?).

However they will eventually go with the flow. If you get enough people around them on board they will fall in line. But at this stage you can’t change their minds. I’d focus on the people that are neutral for now. Ask them what they want to see from the community. Demonstrate exactly those metrics. Collect emotive stories and send them through as well.

(Jess Williams) #10

Richard is spot on!

Can you define “value” and is it the same “value” the stakeholders want?

This was something I had to grapple with and is very common – the members see a completely different value in most cases, so you need to have metrics and stories for each group. For example, are the stakeholders mostly concerned with membership numbers? If so, highlighting how many new members joined this week will spark their interest, but the existing community probably won’t care about that.

Once you’ve determined the top 3-5 value metrics for each group, you can start getting creative with how you share that info. Do it regularly (weekly or better yet – spontaneously as the stories and metrics come to you), not once per month.

Something that worked for me was dropping short quotes from members and quick metrics graphics (visual is best in Slack!) I made into a company-wide channel in Slack. For the quote, I started with a themed opener like: “In their own words…” People to come to expect and enjoy these updates. Hearing about the value of the community from members themselves really helped rally staffers behind the community, which eventually helped win over stakeholders.

Winning over stakeholders is tough. We all face that sometimes!