Community Team Charter

(Kristen Gastaldo) #1

That’s right - TEAM! I am finally not the only CM at my company - there are now 4 of us. We’re all being moved to the same team and are starting to shape the company-wide policy around community.

That being said - do any of you have a “charter” for community management at your company? If so, I’d love to hear it!

(Colleen Young) #2

Congratulations on being a team! I, too, find myself in the position of having a team after being solo for so many years on other communities. We are redesigning the community platform, improving UX and re-igniting the activity.

To get things started, I initiated a google doc, which is a living document to keep us on the same page with community management approaches and division of duties. I like your word choice of calling it a charter.

What would you include in a team charter?

(Kathleen Ulrich) #3

We strive to be a chaordic organization as outlined by Dee Hock, the former chairman of Visa International, in The Birth of the Chaordic Age and One from Many. Purpose and principles are key to any charter,

Here is some beginning information if this approach resonates with you and your team. (Bolding is mine) We find having a set of principles to be really unifying.

“Developing a self-organizing, self-governing organization worthy of the
trust of all participants usually requires intensive effort. To maximize their
chances of success, most groups have taken a year or more on the process. During that time, a representative group of individuals (sometimes called a drafting team) from all parts of the engaged organization or community meet regularly and work through the chaordic design process.

The steps involved in conceiving and creating a more chaordic organization are:

Develop a Statement of Purpose

The first step is to define, with absolute clarity and deep conviction, the
purpose of the community. An effective statement of purpose will be a clear,commonly understood statement of that which identifies and binds the community together as worthy of pursuit. …

Define a Set of Principles

Once the purpose has been clearly stated, the next step is to define, with
the same clarity, conviction and common understanding, the principles by which those involved will be guided in pursuit of that purpose. Principles typically have high ethical and moral content, and developing them requires engaging the whole person, not just the intellect. The best will be descriptive, not prescriptive, and each principle will illuminate the others. Taken as a whole, together with the purpose, the principles constitute the body of belief that will bind the community together and against which all decisions and acts will be judged.”

Source: http://p2pfoundation.net/Chaordic_Organizations_-_Characteristics

(Kristen Gastaldo) #4

Hey Colleen - That’s what we’re working on now. It’ll be about our goals, what we provide the community, what the community provides the company and members, etc. Nothing has been formally written, but it’s something we’re working on now. Just curious if others had these.

(Richard Millington) #5

@jennita might have done something here. Not sure if she gets notifications of these or not, but her talk on building a community team at the cmx event was pretty good.

(Richard Millington) #6

found the link here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GkR6xjpzJck.

Slides: http://www.slideshare.net/cmxsummit/building-a-high-performance-community-team

(Kristen Gastaldo) #8

Great, thank you!

(jennita) #9

Thanks for the love @richard_millington!

@Kristen_Gastaldo, happy to help if you have any questions. :slight_smile:

(Richard Millington) #10

maybe the question at the top? :slightly_smiling: