Community Related Conferences in 2019

Hi @steverowe

Apologies, I’ve been away for the past two weeks in Colombia.

I know and really like the team behind the Community Roundtable. I’m not a member personally, so can’t speak for what’s behind the curtain, but their resources are usually quite solid and I’m sure a few people here are members.

We’re planning on launching something exciting ourselves in the next month or so. So if you want to stand by, you’re welcome to compare the two and see what works best for you. Either way, I doubt you will be disappointed with the community roundtable.

Thanks @richard_millington .

Looking forward to hearing about the event! Fingers crossed it’s in Europe as it makes it a lot easier considering the Community Team are based in Dublin and St.Petersburg :slight_smile:

Oh, wait, I thought you were talking about Community Roundtable membership…you mean their Connect event in September right?

Yes, sorry. I guess you’re planning on starting a member-based forum, not an event.

I’ll certainly take a look at what’s coming down the line when there’s more info on that.

I’d also check out a Feverbee event/conf - just saying :cowboy_hat_face:

Those were the days: http://sprint.feverbee.com/

I have toyed with the idea of doing a workshop or 1-week certification program in San Francisco or London. But I’m not sure if people would prefer that to simply doing the courses we have now.

Any thoughts?

I think for a course, I’d rather do that online. Mainly due to the flexibility around time.

I’d be interested in attending a workshop perhaps with some speakers, or a feverbee meet up to hear other’s stories and advice. The majority of conferences I find are too broad in subject matter.

Like, I’ve attended some social media/general digital communication conferences in recent years and they seem to lean more towards sales funnels, influencers and non-organic communities. Interesting but not a lot to take away for me.

An alternative idea is not to look to others but to do my own roundtable with our own community members for insights and feedback. The only obstacle is that our members are all over the world so it might be a bit too exclusive due to locations - any advice on that?

I belong to a community that hosts weekly online meetings. Each week, the time is different. Today, it’s at 4:00 pm my time. A few weeks ago, it was at 8:00 am. Maybe you could stagger meeting times in a similar fashion?

Really like this idea Piper, thank you!

Generally, what do you talk about? You know, what’s the general agenda. The subject matter on the community (or your product/service), or feedback about the community’s development itself?

1 Like

@richard_millington, have you heard anything about CMX summit this year?

Hi Tanya,

Yes, I have spoken with them.

But I don’t think they’ve released any information publicly yet, so I don’t think I can share it at the moment.

I imagine they will be information their audience soon though.

Thanks! Will be waiting for the news from them. I attended their show several years ago - it was amazing!

They posted information about the CMX Summit. Looks to be exciting and it’s the tenth year.

Also @steverowe you can potentially check out the CMX Connect events (or hosting one yourself) in your city. They sound like small, localized events.

They have a Facebook group you can join with lots of info.

2 Likes

Hi @rebeccabraglio, the company I work (Lurn) for has a copywriting course called Copywriting Academy. We also have a free bootcamp called Copywriting Bootcamp.

It’s not copywriting for community per se but copywriting in general in today’s digital age :slight_smile:

If you want more info, let me know and I can send you link.

Hope this helps!

3 Likes

Thanks, Olga! I will definitely check this out!

Considering I started this, I thought I’d just update :upside_down_face: We’ve actually opted to travel to CMX Summit this year - looks like a good line up.

Thanks for the suggestions here guys :+1:

2 Likes

Terrific, will see you there!

1 Like

The issue is that there is no any good community related conference in Europe :frowning:
If you know the one, I’ll be happy to hear its name.

@tanyagorbunova Agreed. I couldn’t find any in English - which was a shame.

@richard_millington There seems to be a demand for a European Feverbee lead community conference again - hint-hint :upside_down_face:

Hi @steverowe and @tanyagorbunova,

It’s very difficult to run a profitable event in the community space at the moment. I don’t think anyone’s really managed to crack that nut. Most events are by companies that do it as a marketing exercise where they can afford to take a loss in service of a bigger objective.

I’d say if you want an event in Europe, and you think there’s a demand for it, then organise one. There’s nothing stopping anyone from organising an event. we don’t have any unique event-running skills here :slight_smile:

CMXHub has regional groups that could be a focal point for more local gatherings. I think they just launched one for Prague.

2 Likes