Hey there cGeeks!
Again, did some search on a "newsletter" but nothing came out, so I've decided to create a new topic.
I'd like to know:
1. Does anyone here send out a newsletter to your users?
2. How often?
3. What day/hour gives you best open-rate/click-rate?
4. What is your OR, CR?
5. What tool do you use? (i.e. mailchimp)
6. What's the content?
7. What impact do these newsletters have on the community activity etc.?
8. Extra comments?
Here's my experience:
2. I send out monthly newsletters since oct'13 (community is live since jun'13).
3. 50% of our users are NAM, so it goes at 6pm gmt+1, which is 12pm in Boston (more or less). Tuesdays, sometimes Wednesdays and Thursdays but Tuesdays proved to be the best.
4. 29-38 OR, 6-10 CR
6. Have a look here (May issue - sent out yesterday). It looks like that:
a) Headline + subheadline
b) Random category - it changes from month to month (this time we promote crowd-content-translation-project)
c) Featured Community Content
- Article / advise
- relevant question
- video tutorial
- News (this time new community release)
d) Interview with a specialist, we had subject matter experts, tech writers, managers (this time it's a Product Manager of our flagship DCIM product)
e) Poll - usually it's about the community (i.e. what's the quality of the answers you get OR how often do you visit the community). This time we went with something different ;)
7. We keep people informed with "the latest". They seem to like it.
8. We try to keep it funny and amusing. We don't say dear Sir, we keep it casual. Sometimes we throw in some sayings from Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, even Harry Potter. Some people get it, some don't - but we enjoy the process!
Since some of us are going to London in May, we decided to promote UserConf, because we believe it's a great place to be, led by cool people for awesome people.
Wow, it turned out to be a long post. Anyway, feel free to ask questions, I'll be happy to address them.