Community member location mapping and privacy issues

(Stephen Gates) #1

Continuing the discussion from Where in the world are you?:

Help a newbie refine a community concept
Monetization case: Ukrainian goat keepers online community (need your advice)
(Sarah Hawk) #2

I’ve split this out into a topic of its own @Stephen-Gates because I think it raises some really interesting questions.

(James Higginson) #3

I think it’s great idea, we did have it on our community previously and it was well received, for tech reasons we don’t have it any more but I get frequent requests to re-implement it which I will do at some point. We only mapped them by postcode so it wasn’t an exact location, just close. Members could look at the map and easily see who lived nearby.

Liked network diagram look interesting too.

(rhogroupee) #4

For the geo-mapping, that is a popular feature for us, but members have to proactively provide their location, and they are alerted that it’s going to be visible to other members. The tags don’t identify street address, also, just a general location so that they can find “other members within x miles of a certain city.”

I think the “like” network mapping sounds like a cool idea, but it would have to be the right community culture.

(Nick Emmett) #5

I like the idea, love this kind of thing - and no problem in having my username included :slight_smile: