Community launching guide

(Readycool) #1

Hi all…
Can you point me in right direction of launching community…

I’ve started about 2 weeks (yes, first tip will be to wait a longer :slight_smile: )

But to me it looks that I have enough visits to the site…
Just not enough posters :frowning:

Any tip that you already gone through is appriciated!

(Lucas Miller) #2

Hi @readycool - I am working on the same thing! CMX Hub has been giving me a lot of information around launch, valuation of the community over time and defining the “lifecycle” and commitment curve for the community itself.

What were your metrics you were looking for when you first launched?

Did you define a commitment curve and stages of engagement?

(Sarah Hawk) #3

Hello (and welcome).

How are people finding out about your site? If they are visiting but not posting then it’s probably fair to assume that either you are marketing to the wrong audience or that the barrier of entry is too high.

Are you comfortable posting a link to your community?

The quickest way to tackle this is to form a group of ‘founding members’ who act as a mini-community, modeling the behaviour that you want to see in others.

This article is worth a read:
https://www.feverbee.com/participate-2/

(Readycool) #4

Thanks for the answers…
I will check those links soon and give you a feedback, meanwhile here are some answers from above:

I was looking for such visit… I’ve just expected much more posts from other users…
This is mine today statistic:

Pageviews Today
Total 491
Web Crawlers 61
Logged In 347
Anonymous 83

I don’t know how many of Logged in are mine but those Anonymous aren’t :slight_smile:

Can you be more descriptive…

On the first guess I would also assume same as you did, but I’m targeting audience very narrowly.
Here is a link of it: https://online-excel-solutions.com/

Since I’m contributor on many other forums and groups I’m inviting users just interested in a subject.
Lot of them come over FB pages and they are joined in those groups so I’m assuming they are good audience.
But obviously I need to change approach.

Thx.

(Lucas Miller) #5

Commitment Curves are curves that describe actions you want users within your community to take in order for them to commit more to the community. Individual users will move up and down the scale at different rates, but it can be good tool to help you map out experiences overtime.

Commitment curves can help you identify power users from those who are just active or passive.

I am defining a commitment curve for my community of the actions that I want users to take over time. This will give me an idea of the strata of user within my community so I can better create more distinct experiences for particular users.

https://carriemelissa.com/2015/06/18/community-commitment-curve/

(Sarah Hawk) #6

I’d concentrate on finding a strong central group of contributors to start modelling the behaviour that you need.

This article is a few years old, but still has some good tips.
https://www.feverbee.com/founding-members/

(Readycool) #7

Thanks for the explanations.
Very useful.
I’ve done this intuitively but now I can set things to right place.

Here is the thing: I have senior members that I know from other forums that will straight away place on Levels 3 and 4.
Currently few of them but can easily invite 20.
New members start from level 0 and by the time when they come to level2 I would already see them and bound with them.
For now I don’t need moderators and administrators so I don’t want to push it on someone.
When it came time to promote some of them then I will consider it with their affinities.

At this point I’m concerned how to attract level 0 users to start contributing.

Thanks… And links in this article has also more good tips :slight_smile:

This is enough for a start…
I already see some things that I should start with.

Thank you @lucasmiller3 and @HAWK

(Richard Millington) #8

I’m personally not a fan of commitment curves.

There’s no data that supports it and the preliminary studies from our research refutes the lurker to leader model it’s based upon. Newcomers are as likely to jump in and create 20 posts this week as top contributors are to suddenly drop their number of posts.

I’d focus less upon a detailed journey and more upon what’s in front of you right now. Which is attracting people and getting them to participate once or twice. That’s going to mean having some sort of activity/discussion/building a lot of relationships individually with members to get it off the ground.