Community Books Advice

(Alessio Fattorini) #1

Hey all! I need an advice from you community guys :slight_smile:
I’d like to buy some books to improve my knowledge in community management.
Would you like help me? I tried to create a list, any suggestions are welcomed.

Introduce yourself (or at least just say hi)
(Nick Emmett) #2

You definitely seem to be missing @richard_millington’s Buzzing Communities book, a great read.

How about Hooked, by Nir Eyal?

(Alessio Fattorini) #3

Not in the list because I have already it in digital and paper format :slight_smile:

Cool, added.

(Nick Emmett) #4

haha good answer!

(Nick Emmett) #5

How about Working Out Loud, by John Stepper A great book, especially for internal communities

(Sarah Hawk) #6

http://www.amazon.com/dp/1578513308/

(Steve Bridger) #7

The Art of Community by Jono Bacon

The Community Manager’s Playbook by Lauren Perkins

Building Successful Communities of Practice by Emily Webber

(Alessio Fattorini) #8

Thank you folks! I’m adding them. Do you have already read some of books from my list?

(Richard Millington) #9

Probably good to distinguish here between 3 types of books here.

1. Books about how to build an online community. There’s 3 to 4 of these which are pretty good I think.

2. Books about communities. More sociological about the possible impact of the work we do. Clay Shirkey what probably fit into this category.

3. Books explaining skills which could be useful to help you build an online community. i.e. Cialdini and the like.

(Alessio Fattorini) #10

Thanks for answering Rich
Which of them are pretty good?

(Darren Gough) #11

I’d still recommend Dale Carnegie’s “How to make friends and influence people”. It’s a billion years old but it still resonates with me massively and I periodically re-read it.

(Alessio Fattorini) #12

Good advice indeed I already read it twice on paper!

(Richard Millington) #13

Etienne Wenger, Bob Kraut, and maybe Amy Jo Kim are probably the best on the how to side (I think our book is good too).

Books about communities. Clay Shirky and Robert Putnam might be best at explaining the potential side of things.

On skills it’s really more about what’s relevant to you. Some books like Cialdini’s, the one on Positioning/22 immutable laws of marketing, and one on self-esteem were really interesting to me.

Dale Carnegie is great too.