Commissioning sub forum icon designs

(Gear Buzz) #1

We want to help people understand better what the sub forums are supposed to be

about

This designer seem to be the best so far…

(Nick Emmett) #2

they do say that we compute images quicker than text so having a decent set of icons makes sense - are you asking for advice here @julesstanden? These seem pretty straightforward and obvious ones, but to be fair, I would always read the associated text name and description before participating anyway.

(Gear Buzz) #3

I think they are cute and effective not really looking for academic or serious prof advice just asking community comrades if they think they are in the right direction.

In a 99designs competition I am running for icons this designer is our front runner.

(Bo McGuffee) #4

I like them. I still need the text (at least the title text) for initial understanding, but I assume that’s expected. Do we get to see any of the other contenders?

(Gear Buzz) #5

I will generate a poll when all the entries are in and will invite everyone
to take part!

Thanks !

(Bo McGuffee) #6

Cool. Thanks for inviting us into that. :slight_smile:

(Sarah Hawk) #7

Have you considered having a different colour for each icon? If you’re looking at a list of posts, that makes the associated categories obvious at a glance.

(Gear Buzz) #8

New colors?
Yikes! I may need to sit down and have an aspirin!
I struggle with additional colors.

Jules Standen

(Doug Agee) #9

We have been talking about icons in our org too @julesstanden. I think what you have is great and speaks better to the idea of branding and creates a quick mental connection to your sub forums.

In our case, the icon would be used in the main website and in newsletters to give the mental connection to the appropriate sub forum or community group where the gentle reader can join the conversation. My thought on color is that it would be more important to pop in the content like a post-it note and remain consistent and familiar.

(Gear Buzz) #10

I hadn’t thought of icon use in newsletters!
How exiting!

Jules Standen

(Gear Buzz) #11

Please give your opinion by voting on this poll!

Thanks in advance!

(Bo McGuffee) #12

It’s a bit tough to choose, because I want to mix and match.

(Sarah Hawk) #13

Done!

99Designs really does offer a great UX.