Collaboration and Competition (Group Badges)

(Richard Millington) #1
Originally published at: <strong>https://www.feverbee.com/groupbadges/</strong><br><br>Todd suggested group badges in a client meeting.

As the group achieves more success, it gets more badges. This is an impressive way to promote collaboration, allow everyone to specialize, and build a stronger group identity.

But collaboration has a downside too. People want to get along. This well-intentioned goal can lead to people withholding ideas that might be at odds with the group. Social loafing becomes widespread. If everyone shares in the outcomes regardless of the who created the inputs, why create inputs?

Read more

(Dean Samways) #2

Collaborative groups are always so much easier to work with. You very rarely are called on to firefight or manage a crisis.

I’m drawn to communities with a common goal that everyone is working towards together. Competitive communities have a much higher tendency to become toxic and ineffective.

(Piper_Wilson) #3

Back when I was an air traffic controller negotiating with other facilities, management told us that our goal was not to compromise, although compromise was acceptable. Our goal was to come up with a solution that everyone could live with. We didn’t have to like the product, we just had to agree that the solution would be safe and workable for everyone involved.

(Richard Millington) #4

Isn’t this the definition of compromise? :slight_smile:

(Piper_Wilson) #5

@richard_millington - Nope. In a compromise, everyone gets something they want. In the FAA, you could walk away from the negotiation table getting absolutely nothing that you want but something you could live with. Their buzzword was consensus.

(Richard Millington) #6

hmm, I think the definition of compromise is about each side making a concession. But suspect we’re talking about the same thing in different terminology here. If it works, it works!