Capitalising on the community skill base

(Sarah Hawk) #1

Each of us is knowledgeable about or interested in different aspects of community.

I am going to start experimenting with ways to capitalize on that for our mutual benefit. I am going to begin by changing the wording of my welcome email to ask two questions. I currently ask people what they are working on, but I’m going to start asking if there is something that they are passionate or knowledgeable about, too.

I’m going to collect that data into a spreadsheet so that when someone asks a question that requires specific knowledge, I’ll be able to tag people in for advice or input.

The value is two-fold. Firstly, it should help with developing relationships. This is something that @musingvirtual got me thinking about at Sprint. Every time I saw her, she introduced me to someone different, and she always told me what it is that I’ve done that is of interest to them. That gave us something in common to talk about, and gave context to our small talk. I’d like to do that here.

Secondly, it should help us to focus topics and get valuable, practical answers to questions, from people that know what they are talking about.

I guess there is a third value aspect in that it gives me an excuse to tag people, which will send them a notification, pulling them back to engage (in a subject that they are interested in and can add value to).

I’ll keep you posted.

If you want to help me out with this, let me know what you’re knowledgeable or passionate about. You don’t need to be an expert, and you don’t need to know everything about the subject.