Benchmarking costs to develop communities of practice

challenges

(Michael Johnson) #1

Hi all,

I am trying to do a bit of benchmarking to see where my organization fits within overall costs to develop a community of practice. I know this is a sensitive topic, but can anyone share the general sector they developed a community of practice for (i.e. higher ed, healthcare), the budget range for initial development/support (>$500k, $500k-$1m, $1-$3m, $3m+), time it took to develop, size of community, and objective?

We are running into the issue of trying to compare apples to apples in order to keep moving forward. For context, we have build a hybrid community platform on top of an existing platform. Our goal is to connect people to people and people to content within the higher ed (specifically engineering education) sector. We have a custom built solution for content creation and collaboration, while using mostly out of the box functionality for groups and forums.

Thanks!

(Sarah Hawk) #2

I can probably help but I’m not exactly sure what you’re asking here. Are you wondering if you are spending way more on your bespoke platform that necessary?

For context, I’ve launched a few of CoPs for different organisations and I now work at a vendor where I spend a lot of time helping people from many different sectors negotiate budgets.

(Michael Johnson) #3

Yes we are wondering if we are spending too much, not enough, or are just right. Kind of a Goldilocks problem :slight_smile:

Thanks for your help!

(Sarah Hawk) #4

The easiest approach here would be to give us more details about your own situation.

If you can outline the size and purpose of your community, the required functionality of your platform etc, then I can probably give you a range of $

(Michael Johnson) #5

OK let’s see if this helps… our target audience is 35,000 (PhD level/higher ed faculty). The purpose of the community is to connect people to people and people to content within gaps of face to face meetings and events. A big part of the platform’s value proposition is the ability for faculty to upload, share, and collaborate on content. Users are also able to create subgroups and collaborate based on topics of interest.