BEEACTIVE: w/c 1 September

(Sarah Hawk) #1

Darren’s away this week so I’m going to kick off the monthly challenge for September.

Because we killed our upper bodies last month, I propose wall squats and planks this month.

Because I have a proven track record of setting unrealistic goals, I think someone else should make that call.

Who’s in?

[5 September] What are you working on this week?
(Richard Millington) #2

I’m still doing my daily Insanity workout. Did 55-minute Max Plyo Interval yesterday.

I don’t recommend it.

(Mark Baldwin) #3

I’m in. I need to build my core up a bit more, so well up for planks. Not done many wall squats, but anything that helps with my running is good.

(Sarah Hawk) #4

Cool.
I’m going to start with 1 min of each and add 10 seconds every day.

I am actually writing this on my laptop while doing my 1 minute wall squat.

(Mark Baldwin) #5

Not sure about that as you will have to end up doing a 6 minute plank by the end of the month. :slight_smile: Might I suggest starting at 30 seconds and adding 5 seconds every day instead? Would still end up doing a 3 minute plank by the end of the month which still sounds a lot to me.

(Bas van Leeuwen) #6

16 hours later

:joy:

(Duncan Field) #7

Have you found Insanity to be a good program? I’m looking for a good home workout program

(Mark Baldwin) #8

Took the dog out with me for a high intensity 4 mile interval run. 30 minutes after getting back and I’m still knackered but the dog is ready for round 2. :slight_smile: Also done my wall squat and plank for today, might squeeze in a 7 minute workout this evening.

(Richard Millington) #9

It really depends what you’re looking to achieve. I find with most things (especially running), I get injured after a few weeks. Especially once I get up to the 10km level. Insanity I find useful because it requires a few metres of space and no equipment - which means I can do it when I travel.

The hard part is getting into it. It’s not so good for newcomers as its quite intense. Even on the lowest levels I suspect most people drop out relatively quickly. But once you’ve been doing it for a few weeks, you begin to get into it. As it’s such a combination of different workouts, I find I don’t get injured unless I do something dumb. It’s also good if you want to really push yourself and reach your peak as opposed to stay in shape.

So it works for me, not sure it would work for everyone though. I think most of this is just finding whatever programme you can stick with.

(Sarah Hawk) #10

Ha @Bas_van_Leeuwen. I did warn you!

Yup, that sounds like a more realistic goal!

(Kristen Gastaldo) #11

I have an on again/off again relationship with Insanity. I’ve done the whole thing a couple times through and it’s intense. By the end of it, I was ready to be done. But I do the work outs (particularly the early ones that are only 45 minutes) whenever I need to work out and can’t get to the gym.

If you’re interested in any of the Beach Body workouts, I’d suggest checking out T25. They require very little equipment and are a good way to get a quick (decently hard, by Beta level) workout in.

(Sarah Hawk) #12

Just did my 1min 10sec plank and wall squat.
@Darren_Gough you have some catching up to do!

(Mark Baldwin) #13

Wall squats are punishing me already at 1min 10, not sure what my limit will be, it’s only the 9th. :frowning: Plank is ok at the moment, but can’t see me managing 3 minutes. In other news, I’ve upped my speed with running, averaging 8min 15second miles over 4 miles. Just setting off in a few minutes for my 4th 4 mile run this week, taking the dog today so will be doing interval running, otherwise she gets bored and tries to run off home.

(Darren Gough) #14

I do indeed.

Was reading an article the other day where someone set calendar reminders twice a day (mid morning mid afternoon) to plank for 1 min. Evidence of improvement is obviously pretty anecdotal just from that, but her feeling was that it did several things - gave her brain a reason to zone out for a short period, gave a quick sense of achievement but also she felt it used muscles that needed stretching out and activating from sitting.

She would then do a slow yoga move - the one that goes from worshipping the sun to stretching your top half upwards away from the floor slowly. I’m not great with yoga move names - probably the “reverse sun worshiping lotus dog” or something?

Been trying it this week and I perversely quite like it. Feels like it activates all the muscles that need it.

(Sarah Hawk) #15

Downward dog.

That is not something I ever imagined writing in this forum.

(Mark Baldwin) #16

I’m really enjoying the planks, must appeal to the inner masochist. Mixing it up by doing side planks. Just back from a 4 mile run on the hottest day of the year so far, waited and waited and then went at the hottest time of the day. Unsurprisingly was a few minutes down on my usual time.

(Sarah Hawk) #17

Excellent. Another good variation is alternatively lifting each leg off the ground for 10 seconds so that you’re on 3 points.

(Darren Gough) #18

one of the toughest exercises I’ve ever done with an old circuits class was to lie flat on your back, get up and jump to touch a point on the wall about a foot higher than you can normally reach stood on the floor.

Then drop back down flat on your front and repeat. Sounds at first like ‘this is just standing up’ but it pretty much uses every muscle and my word it’s knackering.

(Sarah Hawk) #19

Similar concept to my most hated exercise in the world, the burpee.

(Darren Gough) #20

yes, that’s also an exercise from hell