BEEACTIVE : w/c 1 August

(Darren Gough) #1

Morning all,

Welcome to the first week of BEEACTIVE, the exercise challenge for WFH or Freelance professionals to get us moving and motivated.

Now, it’s week 1 and I’ve no idea of anyone’s fitness levels or otherwise so let’s start small and simple until we build the habit. I’d like to do two things - firstly, a monthly “small gains” challenge where we start with 1 rep of an exercise on the first of the month, then aim to add 1 rep every day throughout the month. I’m a big fan of incremental improvement so curious to see how this one goes.\

Secondly, I’d like us to set a Mon > Fri weekly challenge aimed more at simply getting us active. Make sense?

August’s Monthly challenge : Press ups
Today you simply have to complete 1 press up, but we are going to be adding 1 press up every day with the goal of 31 press ups in a month’s time. This should be quick and simple enough to do at weekends too, but it’s as much about building habit and proving what you can achieve in a month through this method.

Weekly challenge : The Todd Attack
I think the scientific 7 min workout by Gretchen Reynolds that @Todd_Nilson posted is a perfect place to start. Shouldn’t be too hard to complete, but should also get the heart pumping.

Suggest people aim to do the 7 min workout as many times as they can this week and attempt the press up challenge daily. Be great if people can check in on this thread as much as possible and let everyone know progress. Would love people to get to end of month feeling like they’ve really accomplished something. Also happy to take feedback on whether we’re getting the level of this right.

Aside but I found [this] (https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/interval-timer-timing-for/id406473568?mt=8) in the app store. Might be useful for making the 30 second intervals dead easy to work to.

Quick bit of disclaimer action : I/FeverBee not fitness instructors, doctors or Mr. Motivator so please take care.

BEEACTIVE: w/c 1 September
Asking People Why They Don’t Participate (and deciphering answers)
WFH Exercise challenge
(Mark Baldwin) #2

Good work @Darren_Gough I’ve already done my gym workout this morning at half 7, but I will add these to my daily workout. I’m on board with the press up challenge too.

If anyone struggles with press ups, try doing them from a kneeling position initially or try doing them against a wall from a standing position so you are still working the muscles in your arms.

(Bas van Leeuwen) #3

1 pressup: done!
(I won’t join in the 7 min. workout; I have my own routine :slight_smile: )

(Darren Gough) #4

Nice work @Bas_van_Leeuwen! You are currently press up king!

(Margaret Bost) #5

1 press-up done (actually did 3 because I did them from a kneeling position).

Going for a 1.5 hour bike ride in an hour, but I know I should be doing more weight-bearing/strength-training exercise. I’m a really avid cyclist but stopped weight-training in the spring and now have the upper-body strength of a dandelion.

Interesting article here about the importance of strength-training and muscle mass and their relationship to weight gain.

(Katie Paffhouse Bussey) #6

Ugh - this may be my American showing, but is press up a push up?

(Mark Baldwin) #7

Yes, it’s the same. :slight_smile: Done my press/push up. Seemed strange just doing one.

(Darren Gough) #8

Well done all

Yes it’s really odd doing 1 press up - you’ll be amazed how quickly this / next week it starts to get tough so cherish today!

(Margaret Bost) #9

Ha ha, that’s why I had to do 3!!

(Sarah Hawk) #10

Love this, @Darren_Gough

Press-ups are part of the training I do already, so I’m going to modify this slightly so that I’m motivated and get the same gains as everyone else. I’m going to add 5 per day. I suspect 150 press-ups is a bit of a lofty goal, but I’m going to give it a go!

Done for today.

Edit: For anyone doing the 7 minute workout, if you’re doing side planks on the floor and your computer is up on the table, remember to change half way through – it doesn’t prompt you!

(christopher w) #11

Slightly ??? :slight_smile:

Likewise downward dogs to press ups are part of my pilates routine, of which I normally do ten - have you tried them? :sob:

So, I’ll add an extra one per day (11,12 etc) and also try to walk most days - those days that I’m at home that is.

[1 August] What are you working on this week?
(Sarah Hawk) #12

Haha, point taken. I don’t generally mince words, but I was trying for a sensitive tone! My underlying point was that we might each need to tailor this to match our needs, while still motivating each other. :stuck_out_tongue:

I have. Those are crazy-hard.

Today in place of the 7 min workout I did a step class.

Exercise goals completed by 7am. Feeling righteous!

(Darren Gough) #13

2 press ups done this morning - feeling the burn now :grinning:

(Mark Baldwin) #14

Just having breakfast after my morning workout and incorporated my 2 pushups for the day, tacked on some sit ups. Feeling ready to tackle my Beta testers.

(Darren Gough) #15

My aim is to get through my press ups by the end of the month in the time it takes our shower to warm up. That feels like a good way to build the habit.

(Sarah Hawk) #16

Press ups done for today. After day 2 I’ve realised just how ridiculous the goal I have set for myself is. :smiley:

I did a Pump class in place of the 7 min workout today.

(Darren Gough) #17

Tried some new things today - combined @HAWK’s advice around working out in the morning with @Todd_Nilson’s 7 min workout.

Never been too sure about morning workouts - have done some in the past and I generally feel a bit weak/sick as my body doesn’t feel ready. However, although the 7 min workout certainly gets the heart pumping and a sweat on, it didn’t feel too bad. Going to try and start my days with that this week, possibly adding another workout late morning / early afternoon (which is when I tend to feel most ready for it).

What I did like though was the feeling of workout > shower > ready to work already done.

Added my three push ups after the main workout which has push ups - can already feel chest complaining!

(Margaret Bost) #18

Yesterday I forgot to do the press-ups and remembered as I was getting ready for bed. I ended up doing them in the bathroom after I brushed my teeth. :grin:

DEDICATION!!! :wink:

(Sarah Hawk) #19

I’ve never tried it because I’m allergic, but apparently a banana before working out is the answer to this!

My son just found me doing press ups on the kitchen floor in the dark while my coffee was brewing. It’s occurred to me that all over the world, people are going to be finding their partners doing press ups in strange parts of the house at strange times of the day. I love that.

Press ups done for today.

(Sarah Hawk) #20

@Bas_van_Leeuwen @Mjbill @ccdw how are you guys going with your press ups?